You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-27 22:01:53

Majorix

Samsung Galaxy Ace On Arch

So I am holding a Samsung Galaxy Ace and am also installing Arch as we speak.

I am quite the newbie when it comes to Android phones, but I can transfer my files to/from Windows.

All I want to do on Linux is to be able to transfer files to/from phone. No other ****.

On Windows you would simply install Samsung's proprietary software and everything just works. I know there is no such tool for the Linux platform, and I was wondering if something similar exists.

Thanks for the assistance.

PS: Does "root"ing carry the same meaning it does in the UNIX world? If not, what does it enable you to do?

#2 2011-08-27 22:38:40

nrempel

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace On Arch

I have a Samsung Galaxy S and I use it quite easily with Arch.  The Samsung Kies software does not work in linux but you can easily transfer and manage files manually.  Depending on the desktop environment and file manager you choose to use, you should be able to simply enable a USB connection from the phone and view its contents. 

Yes, rooting means the exact same thing on Android.  This is because the Android OS is built using the Linux kernel.

Last edited by nrempel (2011-08-27 22:39:41)

#3 2011-08-27 22:44:23

Gusar

Just enable usb mass storage mode on the phone, and it'll will appear to Arch as a regular usb stick.

#4 2011-08-29 00:43:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Both your questions should not need asking here, its simple enough to google them both.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer