You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-28 11:42:59

marno11

remake or new home partition

hey

i have set up arch to have a seperate HDD for my home partition, and that drive recently died. how do i set up a new drive for my home parition.

i cannot log into the XFCEwithout one, but i can get to the login screen (im using Slim) then Ctrl Alt F1 to get into tty1

im not to sure how to set up a new drive as my /home partition

thanks
marno

#2 2011-08-28 12:02:00

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: remake or new home partition

replace the hd, boot to runlevel 1, partion and create a filesystem (or multiple) on the new disk, update fstab if needed, mount the new partion to /home, switch to runlevel 3 or 5.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2011-08-28 12:33:00

marno11

thanks for your quick reply smile

ok, so i have done all that (im pretty sure) but i still had problems. when i loged in under tty1 i got an error about not having a home partition. i realise that although there is a home directory there is no directory for my user, i fixed this by creating my users directory /home/jordan, i also made one for root while i was at it.

currently in tty1 everything seems fine, i log in with no problem, and can access my home directory no problem at all. i still cannot log into XFCE, is there somthing else missing from my home directory?

so what this tells me is the HD if formatted correctly, and fstab is set up fine...

#4 2011-08-28 12:43:20

Ramses de Norre

marno11 wrote:

thanks for your quick reply smile

ok, so i have done all that (im pretty sure) but i still had problems. when i loged in under tty1 i got an error about not having a home partition. i realise that although there is a home directory there is no directory for my user, i fixed this by creating my users directory /home/jordan, i also made one for root while i was at it.

The root's home dir is at /root/ not at /home/root/, so you can delete the second one if you made it.

marno11 wrote:

currently in tty1 everything seems fine, i log in with no problem, and can access my home directory no problem at all. i still cannot log into XFCE, is there somthing else missing from my home directory?

so what this tells me is the HD if formatted correctly, and fstab is set up fine...

You mind telling us what exactly xfce is telling you?

#5 2011-08-28 12:52:00

marno11

XFCE is not telling me a whole lot, i enter my username and password then it pauses for a while on a blank screen, then i get the login screen again. i have tried loggin in as root and the same thing happens

also, i removed that directory /home/root

i have also tried "usermod -d /home/jordan jordan" but returns the error "usermod: no changes"

Last edited by marno11 (2011-08-28 13:02:39)

#6 2011-08-28 13:15:32

Awebb

You have no config files in your new home directory. As your user, copy over the files from /etc/skel to your new home folder. But since your home folder is dead anyway, you could as well delete the user and create a new one, that way you don't mess anything up.

#7 2011-08-29 02:27:41

marno11

i see, i was doing some reading last night and found out that there is a skel folder that i could user to recreate the users directory. but deleting and recreating the user seems liek the best option by far.

anyway, so i user userdel and deleted my user and used adduser to recreate my user, specificing the home directory to be /home/user, and they way i have xfce start is by using making sure "exec ck-launch-session startxfce4" is in the file .xinitrc as per the wiki.

Board footer