You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-22 11:13:03

davephillips
Website

clock freak-out [SOLVED]

Greetings,

My first post to this forum. I've successfully installed Arch and have been happily using it for the past week. However, this morning an irritating problem popped up: The panel clock applet no longer tells the correct time, it's off by some amount. Ditto for the Date & Time applet, they both show 03:47 when the actual time is 07:04. The timezone is set correctly in /etc/rc.conf, and the clock had been showing the correct time. The date is reported correctly, and I have UTC activated. The system is a dual-boot system, but the other OS is another Linux distro.

I noticed that 'hwclock -u' returned the earlier time, while 'hwclock --localtime' returned the correct time. I would like the applet to reflect the change, but it doesn't update to the fixed time. Neither did the Date & Time applet.

Can someone suggest a fix that will guarantee that this will never happen again ?

Btw, I am trying to retrieve OpenNTP and/or ntp, but it appears that no connection can be made with pacman at the moment.

Also btw: I'm loving Arch, I installed it to replace an aging 64 Studio system (2.6.21 kernel!), and I'm 99% pleased as can be. The remaining 1% is currently reserved until I get this clock issue sorted out. smile

Best regards,

Dave Phillips

http://linux-sound.org

Last edited by davephillips (2011-09-22 13:37:53)

Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

#2 2011-09-22 11:31:03

karol
Archivist

Re: clock freak-out [SOLVED]

Open another thread and post the pacman errors.

As for the time, post the output of 'hwclock --debug' run as root and 'cat /var/lib/hwclock/adjtime'.

#3 2011-09-22 11:39:37

davephillips
Website

Never mind. I figured out how to use OpenNTPD.

In the words of Pinhead, "All problems solved."

Best,

dp

Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

#4 2011-09-22 13:48:07

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

when you find solutions please post them and share them so that it may help others with similar issues. Be a part of the community by giving as much as by taking.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer