You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-26 18:05:24

Tahl

"Open with..." + Use a custom command

I just switched over to Arch Linux from Linux Mint 11 and I was trying to integrate some of the features that make me the most comfortable.  In particular there was a feature in Nautilus that would allow me to right click on a program and then go to Open with... and then type in the command that I wanted to open it with and save that as the default application.  Right now, for example I just installed OpenJDK and would like to sometimes open .jar file with it.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking for (at the bottom):

openwith.png

Either a push in the right direction or a walkthrough would be good.  I don't mind reading, I just can't find what I am looking for.

#2 2011-09-26 18:41:38

Starfall
Website

Re: "Open with..." + Use a custom command

Welcome to Arch Tahl! smile

What desktop environment (if any) are you using?

Is that dialogue box from Thunar?

Just follow the instructions on this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Minecraft

It should, hopefully, remember the command. I run XFCE with Thunar as my filemanager and it remembered the command from that page when I first ran it, so now I only have to double click the jar file

Last edited by Starfall (2011-09-26 18:42:05)

Visit my blog and my DeviatArt page

#3 2011-09-26 18:54:24

Tahl

Thanks for the welcome!

I knew I forgot to mention something, using GNOME3 as my desktop environment.  The screenshot however is from Linux Mint 11 (on my laptop).  I'm not actually sure what the program is in either Arch or Mint that Nautilus calls when you Right Click -> Open With in the Gnome environment. It has the same icon for Nautilus, but Gnome unhelpfully calls it "Files" in the menu, so I can't be more helpful on the name there.

I'll check out the instructions there for a temporary solution, I appreciate the help.

#4 2011-09-26 19:15:54

Starfall
Website

No worries.

I don't have any experience with Gnome 3 what so ever I'm afraid, however, as a work around (perhaps until someone with Gnome 3 experience/know-how drops by) you could create a launcher? (i.e a '.desktop' file)

I found an article on how to do so in Gnome 3: http://linux-software-news-tutorials.bl … ome-3.html

So what you might want to do is create a launcher with the commands in the Minecraft Arch Wiki page I linked in my last post smile Let me know how it goes and good luck!

Last edited by Starfall (2011-09-26 19:16:25)

Visit my blog and my DeviatArt page

Board footer