You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-28 16:35:10

Fredericwb

Custom Version of Arch?

I am new to Arch (and somewhat new to Linux) but I am interested in modifying Arch and including specific packages.
I am aware that by giving out an easily installed operating system goes somewhat against "The Arch Way" but I want to configure the install disk so that it already has Gnome/KDE and stuff is ready to run.

How can I do this in short? I tried several keywords in the wiki and Google, no luck - may have been my wording.

#2 2011-09-28 16:43:23

karol
Archivist

Re: Custom Version of Arch?

#3 2011-09-28 18:05:15

Awebb

There are a few Arch spin-offs, you can't strictly say they are against the Arch way. The idea is that you should know what you're doing on Arch, so it's fine going the easy way, as long as you don't forget how things work.

#4 2011-09-28 20:18:29

Fredericwb

karol wrote:

Thanks! Needed that nudge in the right direction.

Awebb wrote:

There are a few Arch spin-offs, you can't strictly say they are against the Arch way. The idea is that you should know what you're doing on Arch, so it's fine going the easy way, as long as you don't forget how things work.

Guess I misinterpreted the article - oh well, now I know. tongue

Edit:
How exactly does Archiso work? Bit of a newbie question - but it doesn't seem to say where the source of this customized installation media is coming from (or I managed to miss it).
Not seeing where I would add in the needed applications automatically and etc...
Might not necessarily be ready to do a spinoff - but I can give it a shot.

Last edited by Fredericwb (2011-09-28 20:29:40)

#5 2011-09-29 02:23:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Awebb wrote:

Yes you can. Some, at least, of those using such installation mediums do not know what's in their system, and hence give incomplete/misguided information when they eventually need to ask for help.

Its different when burning an ISO for your convenience (as a sort of 'backup') though.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer