You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-19 23:37:58

xdunlapx

HP Laserjet Pro P1102W not printing even though it's installed...

Hello everyone. I'm relatively new to Arch, especially new with configuring cups. I just bought an HP LaserJet Pro p1102w wireless printer. I set it up on my dads laptop via plugging it into the usb and it automatically ran the setup program and I selected to set the printer up for wifi printing. All went well and the printer works now wirelessly from his computer (Windows 7). I've been working at getting this printer to actually print without error but it refuses.

I'm trying to print from leafpad, just a simple text file with little in it other than "linux test print" in the file. The print queue states "Processing - Not connected?" then it fails and gives me the option to "diagnose" the issue. So I click Diagnose. Then it pops up with a message stating that the "print server not exporting printers". It tells me to enable  the "Publish shared printers connected to this system" through the printing administration panel which is in Gnome apparenetly (I'm in XFCE) under System>Administration>Printing from the main menu. In XFCE there is no such area.

I have cups version 1.5.0-1
hplip 3.11.7-2

What else should I do? Apparently the printer was installed successfully. I tried installing it and selecting the HPlip driver which installed fine but wouldn't print. Then I removed that one and installed it using the Apple driver (airprint?) and it won't print either.

I've tried searching for help but all I find is that it will work with hiplip installed... It isn't working with that installed.

I can't access the cups server via a browser. Is that the problem? I've opened the cups config page but I don't understand it and it says allow,deny under localhost or ugh i dont know, something about which users can access the server. Should I remove the "deny"??

Please help me if you can. I'm totally lost and have no idea what to do to get this printer working on my installation of arch. Arch is fully updated as of a few days ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Brittany

#2 2011-10-20 00:38:56

jwbirdsong

Re: HP Laserjet Pro P1102W not printing even though it's installed...

I can't access the cups server via a browser. Is that the problem?

Absolutely.
    If you are starting cupsd from DAEMONS in rc.conf is it starting correctly or failing?   If your not you should be.  if it failing does start manually work?   
if it's running you should be able to access via browser.  localhost:631   
also see/try

$ hp-toolbox

CUPS interface better option IMO tho.

EDIT spelling.... to much scotch B4 posting

Last edited by jwbirdsong (2011-10-20 00:42:38)

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#3 2011-10-20 00:50:29

xdunlapx

I have @cupsd in etc/rc.conf but it never starts (I chose that way so it would run in the background when i logged in - via the cups wiki page). I have to manually start it every time i boot, which I've been doing a lot lately while trying to get this darned thing working. tongue

Running it manually starts fine, no errors yet I'm still not able to access it via the browser.

#4 2011-10-20 02:39:57

xdunlapx

Nevermind. I gave up. I switched to a different distro (even though I LOVED Arch) and got the printer working in less than 5 minutes after first login. I must not have had something installed or something was corrupt. This thread can be deleted or closed unless someone else has the same exact issue. Thanks for your earlier reply.

#5 2012-03-27 00:09:21

CelsoLeite

#6 2012-03-27 00:54:16

shushu

Arch is not very plug and play.  But, you can build an amazing machine with it.  You just have to want an amazing machine.

#7 2012-05-03 09:36:35

wojteczekm16

I know, that topic is old, but I today find a solution. It's simple - you must install net-snmp.  :-)

Board footer