You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-15 19:45:28

alphaniner

nouveau+xfce+startx - xrandr problem with migrated user

tl;dr

Does anyone know what xfce config file controls X display resolution?

---------

I migrated a user from one arch install to another.  Both have xfce.  The original used slim, thus far I'm just using startx on the new machine.  The original had one monitor, the new machine has two (one of the monitors is the same).  I can use an xrandr command to reconfigure the displays from mirrored to extended once X is up.  However, when I put the command in my .xinitrc, something from xfce overrides it and resets things back to the original mirrored config:

$ startx
resize called 1440 900
resize called 2880 900
/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc: line 171: ssh-agent: command not found
xfdesktop[12559]: starting up
resize called 1440 900               <--resolution reset

When I try the same with a new user, the reset does not occur.  I used find ~/.config -exec grep 1440 {} \; which found the ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml file, but that was up to date with the new monitors.  I did some manual searching through ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf but came up empty.  Eventually I renamed ~/.config/xfce4 and xfce generated a new config which 'fixed' the problem.  All I really wanted was my panel, and it was easy to copy that over.

So...

GOTO tl;dr

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by alphaniner (2011-11-15 19:46:26)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer