You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-05 13:58:06

kyoki

applications using dbus crash on gnome3.2

hey all,
I'm having troubles with dbus as an increasing number of applications depending on it crash, each one with the same error message. Here's the output of evolution, for instance:

[kyoki@ashrigo ~]$ evolution

(evolution:1999): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(evolution:1999): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

process 1999: arguments to dbus_message_iter_append_basic() were incorrect, assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_utf8 (*string_p)" failed in file dbus-message.c line 2534.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Abgebrochen

I'm experiencing the troubles with gnome-tweak-tool and virtualbox, too. Reinstalling dbus and dbus-core didn't solve this.

[EDIT:] I found out so far that this is a UTF-8 related problem; the applications mentioned above want to send a non-UTF-8 string to dbus, which is not allowed. I'm confused though that these problems seemed to have started "out of the blue" (I haven't done any application- or dbus-related update) - for instance, evolution crashed somewhere in the middle of a session and never wanted to start since (and was working fine before)... I hope this will be fixed with an update. For some people, the problem was fixed by removing the local application data (stored in ~/.local/share). This worked e.g. for parcellite. Did not work for me, though.

Any help is appreciated.

best regards,
kyoki

Last edited by kyoki (2011-12-07 08:51:15)

#2 2011-12-13 09:38:11

kyoki

Re: applications using dbus crash on gnome3.2

Solved the problem. The source was my locale settings. After switching it to a UTF-8 locale (de_DE.UFT-8), the applications work again.

#3 2011-12-13 09:46:51

radishfabio

Re: applications using dbus crash on gnome3.2

Me too. I had the same problem. Locale was it_IT@euro. I solved switching to it_IT.UTF-8 in my /etc/rc.conf file. Then I converted filenames in my home by using convmv:
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/convmv/

sorry for my english tongue

Board footer