You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-09 22:03:01

brAzzi64
Website

XFCE + Compiz

Hey!

I'm just getting started with Arch, trying to learn all I can while I try different desktops and configurations.
I've just managed to making work XFCE, and LightDM as a display manager. My objective now is trying to make compiz work with XFCE, following the guide in here.

The problem is that, with my current setup, windows start borderless after login and compiz doesn't seem to be running (at least, it doesn't respond to any of the normal keyboard shortcuts).

I've installed the set of packages in the group compiz-fusion-gtk + compiz-core through pacman. After that, I followed the instructions in this section of the guide.

The app glxgears seems to run ok, giving a good framerate, so 3D might be working OK.
My VGA is an Intel card (I'm on an HP notebook). The output to lspci | grep VGA:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Any ideas on what else to check?

Thanks a lot smile

#2 2011-12-09 22:42:12

bwat47

Re: XFCE + Compiz

In compizconfig did you make sure to enable the necessary plugins? By default every plugin is disabled including window decoration, moving, and resizing windows. Make sure to install compizconfig, enable window decoration and set it to use gtk-window-decorator --replace (make sure you have compiz-decorator-gtk installed for this) or emerald --replace (make sure you have emerald installed for this)

Last edited by bwat47 (2011-12-09 22:43:24)

#3 2011-12-09 22:51:56

Shark

It should work. Follow closely compiz guide. I had some problem at first too.

Last edited by Shark (2011-12-09 22:52:38)

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#4 2011-12-09 23:03:32

brAzzi64
Website

Great, that was it smile the windows decorator plugin was disabled by default, do I had to enable it first from ccsm. Now I get compiz running as soon as XFCE starts.

Now, if I understand well, compiz-decorator-gtk is only suitable for GNOME, because when I try to install that package, it says it will also install gnome-desktop, gnome-menus, etc... so, emerald would be the only alternative if I were to use compiz with XFCE?
Isn't there a way to use XFCE's window manager itself, along with compiz, like we do with metacity and GNOME?

#5 2011-12-09 23:13:43

Shark

You can only use one window manger. Compiz is window manager so is XFWM.
You can use compiz-decorator-gtk but it will pull down some more dependencies. If you will choose it you can change window theme through gconf-editor (apps>metacity>general). Or you could use emerald. It's all on you.

Fusion-icon can help you if you would like to switch between emerald and compiz-decorator-gtk ot you could do it by hand.

Last edited by Shark (2011-12-09 23:16:48)

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#6 2011-12-09 23:19:12

pling

You might want to look at this simple guide to using compiz/emerald/xfce:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/11/run-compiz-with-xfce4/

And googling "compiz xfce windows manager" gave a link that should answer your other question:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=193716

"A quick tour through the C-F source code repository (http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xor...piz.git;a=tree) reveals that there is no XFCE-window-decorator switcher/option or otherwise included for XFCE, only KDE and GNOME (GTK)"

No hassle or criticism, but in general google first and ask questions later - it not only saves other people's time but often gets you a faster and more reliable answer!

Board footer