You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-27 00:42:39

detdmt

Offline installation

Hello!

I recently installed Arch Linux, noticing that it had good reviews about working well on my netbook (Lenovo s205), which other systems did not. I am stuck though, because I don't know how to configure the internet connection or how to install the GUI offline. I think it would be best to first install the GUI offline because my internet connection is from university and requires some registration from the browser. Could anyone please explain to me how to install the GUI without an internet connection? Yesterday was the first time I used Arch Linux and I'm quite new to Linux in general.

Thank you very much smile

#2 2012-01-27 00:50:58

hokasch

Re: Offline installation

Due to the way arch works (e.g. rolling release, only base on install iso), you are pretty much out of luck to install a desktop environment without working internet connection - you will have to do a sys update first anyway, and installing a DE will pull in a lot of packages.
You could manually download and install a text browser (e.g. lynx), but not sure if that would help. What exactly do you need the browser for to get online?

P.S:

Yesterday was the first time I used Arch Linux and I'm quite new to Linux in general.

If you want to stick with arch, be prepared to do a lot of reading and proactively research your questions. Documentation for arch is plentiful, and all basics are easily covered by using google.

Last edited by hokasch (2012-01-27 00:53:20)

#3 2012-01-27 01:01:53

prasinoulhs

Re: Offline installation

NOT a good idea.

Try a cli browser (links i think is in the core install) and use it to authenticate to the network then usee pacman to install any packages you wan't.

Edit: Too late

Last edited by prasinoulhs (2012-01-27 01:03:02)

Board footer