You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-24 10:25:04

jiewmeng

Is installing from AUR similar to install from source?

I wonder if installing applications from AUR is similar to installing from source? Recently I have a problem where Eclipse SWT embeded browser is broken and 1 solution is installing firefox from source. So I wonder if installing from AUR is similar as installing from source?

StackOverflow question about broken SWT Browser

Computer Science Student, Web Developer

#2 2012-03-24 11:13:15

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Is installing from AUR similar to install from source?

Read the wiki about this dude.  The short answer is, assuming the author of the PKGBUILD wrote it correctly is, yes.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2012-03-24 11:48:19

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

It depends on what you mean by "install from source".

To install a package from the AUR, you download the PKGBUILD and then use makepkg to build the package. Makepkg downloads and compiles the source files, so in that sense you are "installing from source", but it creates a package that can be installed with pacman, so in that sense it's not the same as installing directly from source.

Never install anything directly.  Always use makepkg to create a pacman package. Any changes that you need can be made in the PKGBUILD. If you want to change one of the official repo packages, use ABS. You can use pbget to download PKGBUILDs too. If a PKGBUILD doesn't already exist, create one.

Installing anything directly leads to clutter and problems.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2012-03-24 14:11:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Some of the packages I maintain don't install from source, they just repackage deb or rpm smile

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2012-03-24 18:17:18

hadrons123

ngoonee wrote:

Some of the packages I maintain don't install from source, they just repackage deb or rpm smile

google chrome and some versions of firefox are binary.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#6 2012-03-24 18:32:07

ewaller
Administrator

You may also be interested in ABS.  ABS is the official build system for Arch.  Things supported by Developers go into Core and Extra, things supported by trusted users go into community.  To get the packages for the extra (which is where firefox lives), install and run (as root) abs.  Then the build stuff for firefox will live at /var/abs/extra/firefox

ewaller@odin:/var/abs/extra/firefox 1021 %ls
firefox.desktop  firefox.install  firefox-install-dir.patch  libvpx.patch  mozconfig  PKGBUILD  vendor.js

Looking at the PKGBUILD, that package does compile from source.  Copy the directory to a user directory, enter that directory, and you can build your own copy with makepkg.  You can then install the package with pacman -U
If you need to change something, change the files in your local copy.

This is not that tough, but it is most definitively not a project for a beginner.  The documentation you need is out there, you will need to do your research.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer