You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-14 16:47:43

urlwolf

Is there any way to get mouse scrollwheel acceleration? Very handy...

What I want to get is a similar effect to this windows autohotkey script:

; Accelerated Scrolling  By BoffinbraiN
; V1.3
; By BoffinbraiN
; For full details, and to get updates and support, visit the forum thread at:
; http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323193

Details:

What is accelerated scrolling?

Normally, when scrolling using the mouse wheel, the number of lines scrolled per notch or 'tick' of the wheel is constant. With accelerated scrolling, the faster you turn the wheel, the more lines you will scroll per tick. Therefore, if you turn the wheel slowly over 5 ticks, you may scroll 30 lines (default 6 lines per tick on Windows), but flicking the wheel very fast over the same five ticks may scroll 50 or 100 lines, depending on your speed.

How does it work?

Normally, one tick of the scroll wheel sends a single key signal to the application. This script works by sending extra key signals when you scroll quickly.

Why should I try it?

I think most people would benefit from using accelerated scrolling. On a daily basis, I see friends and colleagues attempting to scroll a large web page or a long list using the mouse wheel, and they flick the wheel very quickly, many, many times. Not only is that frustratingly slow, but it may contribute to Repetitive Stain Injury if done often enough.

Accelerated scrolling is very intuitive because it's obvious that slow scrolling means the user is reading line-by-line, while fast scrolling means the user is trying to traverse a long distance.

It's clearly not available on most desktop control panels. Maybe it can be done in X config files?

Thanks!

#2 2012-04-14 17:12:17

thisoldman

Re: Is there any way to get mouse scrollwheel acceleration? Very handy...

Some Logitech mice, such as the M500, allow the user to switch the scroll wheel from resistive friction to freewheeling.  I bought one by mistake and it works OK.  I find the capability to be no more useful than the Home, End, PageUp and PageDown keys.  YMMV.

These posts imply it may not be possible through Xorg, but do hint it may be possible with 'imwheel' (AUR), https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=135657

Last edited by thisoldman (2012-04-14 17:16:09)

#3 2012-04-14 17:19:59

Shark

I am bothering with this for quite some time. I have a cheap Logitech mouse and in firefox i can adjust setting but not globally. In KDE system settings there is this option but it doesn't work due to some bug.

I would also suggest you the same as did tell you thisoldman but i had some issues with imwheel - probably because of my limited knowledge or something. In imwheel i could configure it to scroll, let's say, 6 lines but then i had problem with scrolling unfocused windows. It just didn't worked anymore if i ran imwheel. The second pain in the ass was annoyance in libreoffice where wehen i would scroll the text the blinking cursor would also move with the scrolling and all the highlighted text would "dehighlight".

So, if you are not bothered with this then just use imwheel.

Last edited by Shark (2012-04-14 17:20:21)

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#4 2012-04-14 18:18:30

urlwolf

I don't think imwheel does what I want.
It enables you to change the default number of lines per scrollwheel click, but I want acceleration on this function.
that is, if I scroll slowly, then steps are small.
If I flip the wheel fast, then it scroll much faster. Anyone familiar with mac touchpads have experienced this...

#5 2012-04-14 23:35:25

PReP
Website

Try looking into xset perhaps,
that might be a start smile

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

Board footer