You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-13 19:43:22

Nesrail

[SOLVED]Why won't mate-power-manager build?

Hello.
I have this problem and I don't know where to look. I installed mate-common. And mate power manager wont build.

Cloning into 'mate-power-manager'...
remote: Counting objects: 945, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (670/670), done.
remote: Total 945 (delta 309), reused 897 (delta 261)
Receiving objects: 100% (945/945), 4.02 MiB | 907 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (309/309), done.
==> GIT checkout done or server timeout
==> Starting build...
Cloning into '/tmp/yaourt-tmp-root/aur-mate-power-manager/src/mate-power-manager-build'...
done.
which: no mate-autogen in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/java/jre/bin:/usr/bin/core_perl)
You need to install mate-common from the MATE Git
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build mate-power-manager.

Last edited by Nesrail (2012-05-15 19:54:29)

#2 2012-05-13 20:59:21

debdj

Re: [SOLVED]Why won't mate-power-manager build?

get mate-common from AUR first.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=49862

#3 2012-05-13 21:02:11

Nesrail

debdj wrote:

Already did that. Same result.

#4 2012-05-14 00:31:40

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Do you have either of the files /usr/bin/mate-autogen, /usr/bin/mate-autogen.sh? Also, you should use code tags in the future.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#5 2012-05-14 19:19:30

Nesrail

ConnorBehan wrote:

Do you have either of the files /usr/bin/mate-autogen, /usr/bin/mate-autogen.sh? Also, you should use code tags in the future.

Yes I got mate-autogen.sh in the bin folder. And sorry for the missing code tags. Its corrected now :-)

#6 2012-05-14 20:02:56

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Try

ln -s /usr/bin/mate-autogen.sh /usr/bin/mate-autogen

. Mate-common is supposed to create this link but perhaps it didn't if you compiled it in a directory that contained a space.

#7 2012-05-15 05:30:32

Nesrail

ConnorBehan wrote:

Try

ln -s /usr/bin/mate-autogen.sh /usr/bin/mate-autogen

. Mate-common is supposed to create this link but perhaps it didn't if you compiled it in a directory that contained a space.

I gonna give up soon. I used the command you gave and tried again. Then an error came up, saying I need automake 1.9. I installed automake 1.9 and ran again. Same error. So i also installed automake 1.10 and ran again. Now I get an error I have no idea what is about. It looks like this. (Bare in mind that some of the terminal language is in danish, and I will try to translate it to english)

cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [mate_power_statistics-gpm-graph-widget.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving catalog '/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/mate-power-manager/src/mate-power-manager-build/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving catalog'/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/mate-power-manager/src/mate-power-manager-build/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving catalog '/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/mate-power-manager/src/mate-power-manager-build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

#8 2012-05-15 07:20:30

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

All warnings are being treated as errors? That's annoying. It would help if you posted the warning above that line. Anyway, a good rule of thumb is to have "-Wno-error" in your CFLAGS (in makepkg.conf) but sometimes that is not enough. On a few occasions, I have had to go through the source and remove "-Werror" whenever it appears in a Makefile.am.

#9 2012-05-15 07:25:48

Nesrail

ConnorBehan wrote:

All warnings are being treated as errors? That's annoying. It would help if you posted the warning above that line. Anyway, a good rule of thumb is to have "-Wno-error" in your CFLAGS (in makepkg.conf) but sometimes that is not enough. On a few occasions, I have had to go through the source and remove "-Werror" whenever it appears in a Makefile.am.

I have no idea what "-Wno-error" and CFLAGS is or do but I but the -Wno-error line in the makepkg.conf file and it installed without a problem. How do you remove the "-Werror" and where can I find the Makefile.am?

Last edited by Nesrail (2012-05-15 07:35:07)

#10 2012-05-15 19:32:54

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

So is this issue solved then?

There are two types of messages that a C compiler prints out: warnings and errors. An error means there is a major problem with the C file and it cannot be compiled. A warning is just a suggestion that you might want a piece of code to be written better. There are various -W flags that can be passed to gcc. The more -W flags you pass, the more warnings you will see. Some of them have intuitive names like -Warray-bounds, -Wmissing-braces, -Wunused-variable. However, there are some -W flags that are special. -Werror means that every time a warning is encountered, gcc should fail just like it would fail if it had encountered an error. -Wno-error counteracts this. If you run gcc with the -Werror flag and the -Wno-error flag, warnings will once again be non-fatal as long as the -Wno-error flag goes after the -Werror flag.

A program written in C like mate-power-manager will typically have one or more files called Makefile.am in the source directory. The command "automake" generates Makefile.in from Makefile.am. The command "./configure" generates Makefile from Makefile.in. The command "make" will read the Makefile and call all the programs that the Makefile says to call (such as gcc with various warning flags). If some of these warning flags are flags that you don't want, there are two ways to change them. One is to change them in Makefile.am before any of its descendants are generated. The other is to specify flags that "undo them" in the CFLAGS environment variable (which can be set in a few different ways, one of which is in makepkg.conf). The second way only works if the scripts in mate-power-manager are written to respect the value of CFLAGS.

#11 2012-05-15 19:59:30

Nesrail

ConnorBehan wrote:

So is this issue solved then?

There are two types of messages that a C compiler prints out: warnings and errors. An error means there is a major problem with the C file and it cannot be compiled. A warning is just a suggestion that you might want a piece of code to be written better. There are various -W flags that can be passed to gcc. The more -W flags you pass, the more warnings you will see. Some of them have intuitive names like -Warray-bounds, -Wmissing-braces, -Wunused-variable. However, there are some -W flags that are special. -Werror means that every time a warning is encountered, gcc should fail just like it would fail if it had encountered an error. -Wno-error counteracts this. If you run gcc with the -Werror flag and the -Wno-error flag, warnings will once again be non-fatal as long as the -Wno-error flag goes after the -Werror flag.

A program written in C like mate-power-manager will typically have one or more files called Makefile.am in the source directory. The command "automake" generates Makefile.in from Makefile.am. The command "./configure" generates Makefile from Makefile.in. The command "make" will read the Makefile and call all the programs that the Makefile says to call (such as gcc with various warning flags). If some of these warning flags are flags that you don't want, there are two ways to change them. One is to change them in Makefile.am before any of its descendants are generated. The other is to specify flags that "undo them" in the CFLAGS environment variable (which can be set in a few different ways, one of which is in makepkg.conf). The second way only works if the scripts in mate-power-manager are written to respect the value of CFLAGS.

Thats just foreign language to me :- ) but thanks for explaining anyway. And yes its solved now. But I having some problem building other Mate stuff, maybe I should just play with it a bit.

Board footer