You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-13 21:03:59

Lilith

Problem with firefox and chrome

Hi guys,

i've a problem with chrome. When i download something with google chrome and at the bottom i press on the file or show all downloads,  i'm redirected to firefox :0
Tried also to uninstall firefox. No way, nothing happen if i press show all downloads or press on the downloaded file.

Any advice?
Thanks guys.

Sky is the limit.

#2 2012-05-13 21:07:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Problem with firefox and chrome

I doubt it is a browser issue, it sounds like xdg-open (or gnome-open, etc) has not been properly set up.  You need to associate mime-types with the program you want to open those files.

If this is not enough information, then let us know what WM/DE you are using and I might be able to give more detail.  For the most "desktop agnostic" solution, just read `man xdg-open`

Edit: as an aside, I've found xdg-open to be a complete PITA, but you can write a 'drop in replacement' script with little more than a case statement to associate each mime-type with a program.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-05-13 21:09:29)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-05-13 21:08:59

Lilith

I had think.. but i don't know how modify or resolve alone.

Yes, sorry. I'm using mate 1.2.0 based on gnome2.
Thanks.

Sky is the limit.

#4 2012-05-13 21:14:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I suspect there is a gnome widget or settings dialog to do this - possibly the same place where you set what app opens files when double clicked in your file manager (possibly), but I've never used gnome.

On the bright side, the PITA xdg-open does call gnome-open when gnome is running, and from what I've heard gnome-open works better.

Again, I don't know which gnome widget will walk you through this, but whatever it is, it just edits ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list which you can also edit by hand.

Any gnome/mate users should be able to point you to the proper app to manage these associations if you prefer not to do it manually.

Or ... perhaps, if there is every a right click option on a file icon to "open with ..." that should also work to set these associations.

EDIT: FYI, changing the title of the thread to something like "gnome-open file associations" might get the proper attention more quickly.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-05-13 21:17:22)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-05-13 21:23:52

Lilith

Yeah, first "really" problem with gnome since 1 year! I love gnome, i'm pretty noob, but i also love eye candy and gnome is very fast for me!
So i checked in that dir, and i don't have defaults.list ; but i have a "mimeapps.list". I looked into, but i haven't read any firefox word related.
Yeah i'm a master with the open with, but the problem is that i cant' do it in chromium for open with caja-folder (windows manager of gnome).

No ideas here u.u

Sky is the limit.

#6 2012-05-13 21:31:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

xdg-open uses firefox as a default 'backup' option for anything that is not otherwise specified.  I'm not a fan of that choice, but that's why firefox was opening for you, and after firefox was removed nothing seems to happen.

I'm not sure I understood the last part of your post.  If there is an "open with ..." option for files in a filemanager or on the desktop, there should be an option like "always open files of this type with <application>".  If you do that once, then from then on chromium should open those files with that app.

#7 2012-05-13 21:40:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Perhaps Mate isn't as gnome-like as I thought.  I just found this which looks to be a solution.

Or, my solution to all xdg-open related problems: replace it.  I've writen a tiny script like below that I replace /usr/bin/xdg-open with so I can stay in control of what it is doing.

#!/bin/bash
# replacement for /usr/bin/xdg-open
for f in $@; do mime=`file -b --mime-type "$f"`; case "$mime" in

#MIME-TYPE)    APPLICATION    <END LINE WITH ;;>
audio/*)	mplayer "$f"	;;
video/*)	mplayer "$f"	;;
*/pdf)		mupdf "$f"		;;

esac; done > /dev/null 2>&1 &

I would not recommend this script if you are not comfortable editting scripts as it does need customizing.  However, the alternate solution is to edit a much longer and much more confusing script.

Edit: cleaned up my ugly script, as it is a work in progress.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-05-14 15:46:54)

#8 2012-05-14 12:44:13

Lilith

Yeaah! I resolved and fixed following your first link!
Many many thanks man!
Cheeers:)

Sky is the limit.

#9 2012-05-14 15:43:58

Gcool

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED].

Burninate!

Board footer