You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-14 15:03:59

Selo

[Solved]Not overwriting dir with file var/run

On a fresh arch installation (2011-8-19), I run

pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem && pacman -S filesystem --force

First i got a warning saying pacman should be updated first, i chose yes and i get this;

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
glibc: /usr/bin/tzselect exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/bin/zdump exists in filesystem
glibc: /usr/bin/zic exists in filesystem

I removed these files manually and run the update again, i believe pacman was updated, I also run pacman-key --init and pacman-key --populate archlinux afterwards and run the update again i got this

initscripts: /etc/profile.d/locale.sh exists in filesystem

So, i removed this file as well and run the command one more time, i got this as stated here

warning: directory permissions differ on sys/
filesystem: 755 package: 555
error: extract: not overwriting dir with file var/run
error: problem occurred while upgrading filesystem
error: could not commit transaction
error: failed to commit transaction (transaction aborted)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Rebooted the system and now i get (none)login: and i am not able to login. I can reinstall the whole system, but i should know what i am doing wrong. How do i update my system ?

Last edited by Selo (2012-06-15 10:02:57)

#2 2012-06-14 16:12:21

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved]Not overwriting dir with file var/run

All of that up to "error: extract: not overwriting ..." is expected and documented in the front page news feed. (Oh, and not the glibc part either I suppose, it's likely that this is where the process went astray).

One recommendation would be to say "No" to updating pacman first.  IIRC, that option was to be removed sometime soon.  However, I'd be surprised if that caused this problem.

If you are going to reinstall, I'd strongly recommend the net-install option.  This way you can sidestep all these manual interventions and just get a running up-to-date system.

Edit: if a net install is absolutely not possible, then repeat as above, but opt out of updating pacman first.  I am not familiar with this error, but in retrospect it is conceivable that updating pacman first caused the conflict with the glibc files.  But again, a net-install would avoid all of this and would be worth it even if you need to go borrow a neighbors ethernet connection for a bit, or go to a "internet cafe".

EDIT: OOPS I never read the part of the front page news that didn't apply to me.  It seems to apply to you.  Did you read the second part of that news item?  It addresses your situation directly.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-06-14 16:21:24)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-06-14 16:52:21

karol
Archivist

#4 2012-06-14 19:09:29

Selo

I did a netinstall, now all i see is (none) Login: ... I have a spread usr partition, could this be the cause of this problem ?

#5 2012-06-14 22:59:43

tomegun
Developer

Selo wrote:

I did a netinstall, now all i see is (none) Login: ... I have a spread usr partition, could this be the cause of this problem ?

if you have a separate /usr partition, you need to enable the "usr" hook in your mkinitcpio, otherwise it will not be mounted.

#6 2012-06-15 09:59:10

Selo

I guess /usr partition was the cause. I edited HOOKS as follows and everything is OK now, thanks guys.

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems usbinput usr fsck shutdown"

Board footer