You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-15 12:23:50

blackout23

Failed to write /etc/fstab: File system is read-only [SOLVED]

Hello,

I just finished installing arch with Archboot on my SSD. Used GPT Table and EXT4 selected base package and let the installer do his thing.
After everything was finished I logged into root with my new installation and wanted to remove the "ssd" option from /etc/fstab because
it can't handle it on boot but I've seen other people use this option. When I try to save changes it fails because everythinig is read-only.
What happend?

Regards,

blackout23

EDIT: First I used the net install which installed linux 3.4.2. After having this problem I formatted everything and used
the CD snapshot which installed linux 3.2 something but ended up with the same problem. Though it had something
to do with the latest news about manual intervention but it should not have been a problem with the older snapshot.

Last edited by blackout23 (2012-06-15 13:43:18)

#2 2012-06-15 12:57:29

DSpider

Re: Failed to write /etc/fstab: File system is read-only [SOLVED]

What "ssd" option in fstab? I searched the fstab wiki entry (Ctrl+F) for "ssd" and nothing came up.

Just follow the Beginner's Guide and when you get to "/etc/fstab", read and adjust it according to your setup.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-06-15 13:08:49

blackout23

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … Btrfs_root

Tried to make an btrfs install first and stumbled upon the ssd mount option here.

I reinstalled everything for the third time without noatime and discard even though I have used
arch on this ssd with these options before. No I can modify files like /etc/rc.conf which helps ALOT! big_smile

Now the problem is that I can't get pacman-key --init to finish. It is stuck at "Generating pacman keychain masterkey..." since
15 minutes. Without it I can't install anything.

#4 2012-06-15 13:23:10

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

blackout23 wrote:

Now the problem is that I can't get pacman-key --init to finish. It is stuck at "Generating pacman keychain masterkey..." since
15 minutes. Without it I can't install anything.

There have been several threads on this. It's waiting for entropy. Try running a disk-intensive activity like updatedb or ls -R / in another TTY.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140138
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … entropy.3F

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-06-15 13:25:56)

#5 2012-06-15 13:30:06

DSpider

WHAT "ssd" option in fstab?? Even the SSD article doesn't have anything like that! Ubuntu (which is a vastly more popular Linux distro than Arch) doesn't know about it either: Fstab. But seriously, run 'man fstab', press "/" (to search), type "ssd" and press enter! You won't find anything in there! I think somebody was fucking around with the wiki.

And did you not see the "The factual accuracy of this article or section is disputed" sign?

Don't believe everything you read.

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#6 2012-06-15 13:52:43

DSpider

If you're going to mark it as solved, you should say a few words about what you actually did to solve it. This is in case someone (including yourself sometimes) may find useful.

#7 2012-06-15 16:08:40

blackout23

It's in post #3.

#8 2012-06-15 16:10:13

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

^ but did you fix your pacman-key problem as well?

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-06-15 16:10:31)

#9 2012-06-15 19:35:00

blackout23

Yes fixed it with your suggestions even tough it took awefully long. I remember having to create entropy maybe 6 month ago for the same reason but last time it actually said "Collecting Entropy.." in the terminal when I did it. Also it was easier because I had a full working desktop back then with daemons and everything running so it did it almost by itself, but after a fresh install the is basically nothing that will create entropy for you as it seems.

Board footer