You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-14 11:37:57

xmesaj2

From Windows to Linux, complete switch

First welcome to everyone smile
I'm using dualboot systems Windows 8 trial and ArchLinux.
I plan to use Linux as main OS, removing Windows completly or using it as VM but hardly I like playing games, which are dominating on Windows.
How did you started to use Linux in similiar case as me? I can't motivate myself tongue

#2 2012-11-14 11:43:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: From Windows to Linux, complete switch

The only motivation I needed to stop using windows, was to start using it.

I'm not really following the purpose of your question, though.  You have a desire to do something you do not desire to do?  And you want someone else to help you motivate you to do what you do not want to do?

If you want technical help transitioning from a dual boot to single boot, you're in the right place.  If you help deciding whether you want to switch ... well, how could anyone here tell you what you want?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-11-14 11:46:48

tomk
Forum Fellow

I have a tip - stop booting into windows. smile

#4 2012-11-14 11:53:10

hunterthomson
Website

Welcom smile

I agree dual booting will hold you back. What will end up happening is whenever you ... or at lest sometimes when you run into a problem with Linux you will just boot into Windows instead of learning how to do it on Linux. The only thing I need windows for in to stream Netflix, but using VirtualBox or qemu/KVM works vary well for this... really VirutualBox is the best for this.

Games smile Your in luck. Steam is moving to LINUX!!!!!!!!!! The Beta is in the AUR! You don't need the Beta key, you can bypass it by just going strate to the library.
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/2727 … as-s24e05/

Also, all the major Windows game titles already work in Wine on Linux.

Owe, and I vote you go for KDE desktop.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-14 11:55:40)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#5 2012-11-14 12:18:49

Morn

xmesaj2 wrote:

How did you started to use Linux in similiar case as me? I can't motivate myself tongue

Just unplug the network cable every time you boot into Windows. That way your system won't get infected with trojans and lack of network access pretty much guarantees you will be bored out of your head within the hour and reboot to Linux. Carrot, meet stick. smile

Still, there is a reason to keep Windows—3-D graphics performance. The Open Source graphics drivers under Linux are nice and stable, but occasionally one needs higher frame rates. Also, you can mount the Windows NTFS partition in Linux and use it to back up your home directory, just in case something ever goes horribly wrong with Arch, ext4fs, or the kernel.

Also, +1 for KDE.

#6 2012-11-14 14:00:23

xmesaj2

Thanks for all your quick responses smile Didn't even excepted so much attention.
I do pretty well with Linux and really I'd rather solve issues I got faster with Linux than with Windows (because most of the time I got any, it causes grub [so windows]/kernel unbootable too :] ) or Linux also used to recover Windows. I've found Arch much easier to setup than much people saying, it's well docummented.
I don't always have Internet acces so that's also why I haven't switched to Linux yet.
KDE is great, loved it since first time I've been using Kubuntu, but I prefer classic gnome (mate) or easy - just use both DE big_smile.

I'll think of repartitioning my drive and switch to Linux+Windows VM.

#7 2012-11-14 14:06:01

progandy

As long as you don't play powerhungry games, a Windows VM is perfect. After my dual-boot installation I booted Windows only during the first two weeks or so. I avoid repartitioning since I'll have to move 150GB of data currently on NTFS partitions sad

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#8 2012-11-14 14:29:45

hadrons123

xmesaj2 wrote:

I'll think of repartitioning my drive and switch to Linux+Windows VM.

It may not be the easiest ride, becoz I tried and didn't have one.
Since I travelled the same route as yours, I would recommend not to format the windows instantly, but rather use windows VM inside the linux and see if it is comfortable for you to use, and that works out you may be ready to format the Windows partitions.
VM gaming are not always smooth. There are lot of variables(device drivers + kernel upgrades + virtualbox + your hardware + the kind of game you are playing) you have to consider.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#9 2012-11-14 16:04:48

10PinkPanther

Hi!

My advice to you is to get rid of windows and stick to Linux.It's amazing when you learn something each day.I'm a noob and I've been using computer only for 8 months.Four months of windows and four months of Linux.But in this time with with Linux I've learned so much and it makes me feel great.
Greetings from Croatia!

#10 2012-11-14 16:19:00

Morn

If you use Linux 90% of the time (internet, productivity, etc.) and Windows 10% of the time (gaming or whatever), you will still learn far more about Linux than about Windows. And if your Linux ever breaks down you have something else to boot and to post in the Arch forums with. smile

I don't like Microsoft very much, but I don't get this obsession some people have with removing Windows. If they do that, they should go all the way and use OpenBIOS. Replacing the proprietary BIOS is a far worthier and more important goal than deleting an operating system that you may or may not need in the future.

Last edited by Morn (2012-11-14 16:20:53)

#11 2012-11-14 16:49:16

jocheem67

Same as Morn here. Why not just keep your win ? It' ll give you some advantages,  as there just are some good programs written for it that run optimal on a dedicated install.
I don' t see the fuzz about " just this"  or " just that"  ...just boot into what you need

#12 2012-11-17 03:31:45

timemaster

I am using a dual boot system where I use linux as my main os, and keep a windows partition for games and compatibility.

An interesting thing that you can do is to use your raw partition in your virtualisation software.
When I need windows for compabilitily usage, I virtualize windows from linux using virtualbox and a RAW VMDK disk. In simple terms, virtualbox boot windows directly from the hard disk/partition.
Then, when I want to play games, I boot windows on bare hardware. I don't recomment using virtualbox or kvm for 3d games as they are not to the point in terms of performance. Maybe vmware would be ok but I don't use proprietary product.

Also, I agree with morn and jocheem67. Being on linux 90% of the time is good enough to learn a lot about it. You are also on Arch, which is a ++++ if you want to learn : have bugs/correct the bugs/you need to know how it work to do that or want a new feature/need to configure /etc/ files/.

#13 2012-11-17 05:26:15

WonderWoofy

It should be noted that virtualbox is not able to use gpt.  So if you are using windows with uefi, you cannot virtualize the raw partition.  (This is at least how it was a couple months ago)

#14 2012-11-17 08:45:31

ezzetabi

xmesaj2 wrote:

Just unplug the network cable every time you boot into Windows. That way your system won't get infected with trojans and lack of network access pretty much guarantees you will be bored out of your head within the hour and reboot to Linux. Carrot, meet stick. smile

My advice is slightly different. Use nLite to edit your installation CD and remove all network drivers. A Windows without network drives might be a useful OS for games.

#15 2012-11-17 09:32:47

hunterthomson
Website

For sure, no one will ever say that VM's will play 3D games. However, everything ellse is fine, Netflix streaming, vSphere, MS Office everything but 3D games.

However, almost all major Windows 3D games do work vary well in Wine on Linux i.e. Star Trek Online, WoW... check to see if the games you want to play work with in wine here.
http://appdb.winehq.org/

And like I said before, Steam is moving to Linux (Ubuntu is the target, so there will most likely be some extra steps with Arch). It is in a closed, but bypassable Beta right now.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-17 09:40:49)

#16 2012-11-17 09:59:36

satanselbow

WonderWoofy wrote:

It should be noted that virtualbox is not able to use gpt.  So if you are using windows with uefi, you cannot virtualize the raw partition.  (This is at least how it was a couple months ago)

Ummm yeah cheers for that Woofy... you could have posted that the other week when I lost a couple of days trying... if only you had googled it for me earlier big_smile

#17 2012-11-17 13:21:21

pulce

If you like gaming keep the dual boot. What would be the point of VM? You still lose the disk space occupied by windows and its software, and yet you don't have the performance of a regular windows system, which for gaming is important. Also, you don't get rid of the propertary system. I think VM is good for many tasks, but not for hosting a gaming OS wink

#18 2012-11-18 01:05:26

YJ Lee

Keeping a separate Windows partition may be useful depending on your line of work / study - sometimes you can't help but need to use a software running Windows. To discourage yourself from booting into Windows:
1) think how much % of geekiness you lose by rejecting Linux
2) slap a desktop wallpaper you dislike on Windows (mine is a huge Microsoft logo, makes me want to reboot ASAP!)
3) Compare boot times / shutdown times of Arch and Windows?
4) Draw up a set of rules of what you will use Linux for and what you will use Windows for

I think many Linux advocates will encourage removal of Windows, but my personal opinion is - use the best tool for the job at hand. You don't use a virtual Windows or WINE to run intensive 3D drawing tools like Solidworks (which unfortunately is popular around here and doesn't support Linux)

#19 2012-11-18 02:03:48

hunterthomson
Website

YJ Lee wrote:

... run intensive 3D drawing tools like Solidworks (which unfortunately is popular around here and doesn't support Linux)

http://www.blender.org/

EDIT: Awe, blender is not really a CAD program. There is BRL-CAD but it dose not look soo good, yet.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-18 02:44:33)

#20 2012-11-18 02:24:37

Roken

My system is still dual boot (Win 7 and Arch). I boto Windows maybe once per month, and that's simply to install the updates. I have it around for proprietary software for a small business (that really isn't doing that well), meaning I will "use" it when I have to. I'm looking at an option to offload my private work into my employers workload, which means that I'll have no need for Windows whatsoever.

At the moment, my primary OS is Arch, and I can see no reason to change that. I'm more than 99% Linux user. That fraction of 1% is swallowing 120GB of HD space that I'd rather use more producitively. Unless you have a compelling reason to stick with dual boot, dump Windows. Arch will do 99.9% (approximately) of what I need and want. The other 0,*% I'll offload elsewhere.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#21 2012-11-18 10:56:31

Morn

hunterthomson wrote:

There is BRL-CAD but it dose not look soo good, yet.

Which is funny because BRL-CAD is the grandaddy of solid modeling software. It's like saying, there's also FORTRAN, but it doesn't look so good yet. Oh wait. smile

#22 2012-11-18 11:46:33

hunterthomson
Website

Owe okay, that is good to hear. After looking at blender's graphics, the BRL-CAD renderings didn't look so cool tongue

So, as far as work on Linux goes:
R for Statistics
BRL-CAD for 3D CAD
Blender for 3D graphics/games/video
(Soon) Lightworks for Video editing
Audacity for Audio
Libre Office
GIMP
QEMU/KVM hands down Way better then VMware ESXi (which also runs on the Linux kernel)
Metasploit for penetration testing (along with almost all other pen testing tools)
awk is so fast it is used for DNA mapping

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-11-18 11:53:06)

#23 2012-11-18 11:58:09

Morn

hunterthomson wrote:

(Soon) Lightworks for Video editing

Bah, Blender VSE can do that too. Blender and Emacs are both very fine operating systems I hear. smile

Board footer