You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-08 02:37:09

Iacus

[SOLVED] Mount without root password

Hi, I made a thread about this very same issue not long ago, where an admin asked me what steps I followed then closed the thread before I had a chance to reply.
Not sure if this is official "moderation" policy but, please this time I would like you to read before locking the thread. This is not the exact same issue as the other threads you can find on the boards (which don't apply to my system setup and thus are of no use to me).

Thing is, I would like to set up my system so that when I click on an internal partition or external drive (in Thunar or Nautilus, for example) the file manager mounts it without asking for a root password.

Right now external drives connected at boot are detected but not automounted. Clicking on them in Thunar mounts them without asking for passwd. Not so internal partitions.If you need to know I'm currently using openbox but I guess this should be a systemwide configuration issue.

Thanks. If you need more details, just tell me what info you need.

I've searched the wiki but the either the info to solve this isn't there or it is in such an unintuitive place that I have not been able to find it.
And afaik both openbox and systemd are correctly configured.
Furthermore, I use lightdm to log in.
I also edited org.freedesktop.udisks.policy as suggested in a thread here but doesn't do anything since the action called is for udisks2.

Last edited by Iacus (2012-12-09 13:02:56)

#2 2012-12-08 04:34:12

ipha

Re: [SOLVED] Mount without root password

Check out this example on the PolicyKit wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … t_password

It allows anyone in the storage group to mount disks.

#3 2012-12-08 04:58:52

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

ipha wrote:

Check out this example on the PolicyKit wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … t_password

It allows anyone in the storage group to mount disks.

Yes, and it uses polkit which is clearly marked as deprecated at the top of the page...

Iacus wrote:

This is not the exact same issue as the other threads you can find on the boards (which don't apply to my system setup and thus are of no use to me).

Really? I don't see what is unique about your setup, other than the fact that for your internal drives you don't have an fstab entry...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2012-12-08 06:14:08

chris_l

Iacus wrote:

This is not the exact same issue as the other threads you can find on the boards (which don't apply to my system setup and thus are of no use to me).

Iacus wrote:

Thanks. If you need more details, just tell me what info you need.

Ok. Then, give us the reasons explaining why the other threads don't apply to you.

Iacus wrote:

I've searched the wiki but the either the info to solve this isn't there or it is in such an unintuitive place that I have not been able to find it.

I suspect that is the problem. Not that your setup is so unique that no article of the wiki, or the other threads apply, but more like you read them, and didn't understand them.

You also said "is not the exact same issue". Could that mean you copy-pasted the instructions without adjusting them to your system?

But, I could be completly wrong about it, and your setup could actually be so different that the wiki and the existing forum threads actually don't apply.

If that the case, sorry, please, could you explain us what's different on your setup?

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#5 2012-12-08 10:52:32

Iacus

If that the case, sorry, please, could you explain us what's different on your setup?

In every thread about this marked as solved I came across, the solution was to add some lines to execute dbus or some other parameter to .xinitrc.
I do not use .xinitrc, I log in from lightdm.

EDIT: Is the only solution really to add all partitions to fstab? That might be it but I was under the impression that Ubuntu didn't need manual editing of fstab every time the partitions changed, unless some script just does it automatically.

Last edited by Iacus (2012-12-08 10:54:52)

#6 2012-12-08 11:38:48

satanselbow

Iacus wrote:

EDIT: Is the only solution really to add all partitions to fstab? That might be it but I was under the impression that Ubuntu didn't need manual editing of fstab every time the partitions changed, unless some script just does it automatically.

Ubuntu is what Ubuntu is and I haven't touched it in a very long time. Given the amount of "hand holding" Ubuntu does - which for the record I found increasingly intrusive - I should imagine there is indeed a script in there somewhere which does what you require.

Do you really spend that much time creating/destroying that entering them in your fstab is that much of an issue?

#7 2012-12-08 11:44:05

65kid

Iacus wrote:

udisks is supposed to ask you for the root password when mounting internal partitions - this is not a bug, it's intended. Internal partitions are supposed to be listed in /etc/fstab and I see really no reason not to put them there. It's not like you are changing the entries daily...

Maybe ubuntu actually patched this for some stupid reason, I don't know.

#8 2012-12-08 16:40:25

Iacus

65kid wrote:

udisks is supposed to ask you for the root password when mounting internal partitions - this is not a bug, it's intended.

Thanks for pointing this out but I already know it is intende. It's just that it's not what I require.

So, I gather the solution is to manually list all partitions under fstab? I guess with noauto,users parameters or something like that so they mount without asking the password?

#9 2012-12-08 17:45:52

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Iacus wrote:

So, I gather the solution is to manually list all partitions under fstab? I guess with noauto,users parameters or something like that so they mount without asking the password?

There is no need to guess, or to seek handholding here: it is in the wiki. That's why we have one.

And you wonder why I closed your first thread. This sort of thing, as I said the first time round, has been covered repeatedly, so--rather than force Archers to have to keep seeing the same, simple issues raised repeatedly here--and leave people feeling like they are trapped in some sort of cheap '70's sci-fi film where history keeps repeating itself and they can't escape it, we just close the threads and encourage newbies to read the excellent documentation and work it out for themselves. Yes, it is not like Ubuntu, and that is quite intentional.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#10 2012-12-09 11:12:07

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Best and most KISS solution: Just keep the internal stuff permanently mounted in fstab. You are not going to unplug/plug the disk every 5 min, so why not just have it mounted at boot?

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#11 2012-12-09 13:02:42

Iacus

Indeed. Thank you. Believe me I search before asking for a problem but people here have a better understanding than I do, so when I cannot solve something myself I seek help and advice here.

You'd understand that "search the wiki" is too vague a recommendation when you don't have intricate knowledge of the minute workings of GNU/Linux, especially when I already did searched fruitlessly.
In short, I'm not averse to searching the wiki, I was only asking here for guidance on WHERE I might search.

Mr.Elendig wrote:

Best and most KISS solution: Just keep the internal stuff permanently mounted in fstab. You are not going to unplug/plug the disk every 5 min, so why not just have it mounted at boot?

Thanks, but that's not the required solution. I will stick to the fstab parameters.

Last edited by Iacus (2012-12-09 13:03:40)

Board footer