You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-08 13:40:22

justforgetme
Website

Gnome is putting me on llvmpipe?

Hey guys, I'm on a non retina but still latest version macbook pro and about a month ago I noticed that gnome-shell had started to use huge amounts of cpu. Digging a bit deeper this week revealed that the desktop is running on the llvmpipe renderer which explains the cpu behaviors.

Now, I do not know if I had this problem from the start (because I was focusing on other issues and this one plainly isn't life threatening) but I would like the solve it now. The behavior is the same whether I run with the nouveau or i915 driver (m650 and hd4000 gpus).

What could be going wrong? I don't have a separate xorg.conf and all the conf files in xorg.conf.d are non gpu settings (mtrack, evdev touchpad, accelerometers, joystick).

Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited by justforgetme (2012-12-09 08:33:31)

$> man life
No manual entry for `life'

$> nvm...

#2 2012-12-09 08:58:47

justforgetme
Website

Re: Gnome is putting me on llvmpipe?

Update:

I found on the mailing list some people that had a similar problem (Gnome using llvmpipe) but as it turns out the solution for them was to install both xf86-video-nouveau and nouveau-dri. Unfortunately both these packages exist fully up to date on my system but Im still NOT getting any GL love from gnome..

$> man life
No manual entry for `life'

$> nvm...

Board footer