You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-01 16:31:04

browntown

[Resolved]how to configure htop / conky show entire chromium usage?

So I prefer chromium to firefox, and understand that it runs each tab as individual processes.

Is there a way to have conky, htop, and other task manager type apps to wrap all chromium instances into one line?

For example, in htop, you can switch to tree mode and manually hit '+' on the top of the chromium tree and it does what I ask, but I can't find a way to force all trees to roll up, and the tree disappears if you sort a column.

Further in conky, I like the top 5 mem usg app list that you see commonly, but it always has 4 chromiums in the list.  I'd like to program it to show just one per application.

I know this is the old windows user talking in me, but is there a task manager that will collapse all threads into each individual process.   So I can just see 5 apps in my list instead of 100.

Hopefully that all made sense.  Please and thank you.

Last edited by browntown (2013-02-07 04:14:35)

#2 2013-02-02 04:06:26

the sad clown

Re: [Resolved]how to configure htop / conky show entire chromium usage?

I don't see how you can do that in conky.  I suspect someone could write a bash script utilizing ps or maybe top that could do what you want, but I'm not good enough at bash to do it for you.

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2013-02-06 21:50:02

anonymous_user

FWIW pixelb's ps_mem.py script does exactly this. It shows memory usage per program instead of per process. However it does requires sudo to run. Also it doesn't constantly monitor/refresh, it just runs once.

https://github.com/pixelb/scripts/blob/ … /ps_mem.py

Last edited by anonymous_user (2013-02-06 21:50:45)

#4 2013-02-06 21:57:07

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

ps aux | awk '/chromium/ { sum+=$4} END { print sum }'

or, depending on the output you want:

top -b -n1 | awk '/chromium/ { SUM += $9} END { print SUM }'

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2013-02-07 04:13:54

browntown

Dig it, thank you for the help.  I know htop already has a feature request to collapse all trees and allow sorting in tree mode.  Hopefully that comes out someday.  As for conky, the novelty is wearing off and I've actually shrunk the amount of info I put on there.   LXtask shows a less cluttered process list - similar to what windows users are used to.  I guess I just need to learn more advanced python scripting and make my own brown-top.

That of course is the beauty of the opensource world, if it doesn't do what you need, write the program yourself and contribute.  Marking as solved.

Board footer