You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-11 15:34:06

ke1v3y

[Solved] Help: Chowned and Chmodded to Themelessness

In a frantic noob-like mistake, I made a terrible life choice; here's the story.

I was playing around with Xfce themes in hope of finally finding one to satisfy my graphic designer self. Anyways, I unzipped one in the /usr/share/themes folder, at which point it was visible under my Appearance Settings. However, when I tried to add another one (following the same process), it did not show up as an available theme.

Well, herpderp me thought that the issue was the permissions/ownership, so I chowned all of the folders in the /usr/share/themes directory to my username (ke1v3y) and chmodded the folders to be readable by Others. After doing this (in hope of getting the themes to show up), I realized that when I opened my Appearance Settings, I now had NO themes visible.

Panicking, I ran

sudo xfce4-appearance-settings

to see if I would be able to view anything. To my slightly pleasant surprise, all of my original themes were present, but not the most recently added one.

Now I have two issues that I've come to bother you with:
1. No user themes are available when I run xfce4-appearance-settings as myself
2. I am unable to see certain themes when I run xfce4-appearance-settings as root (although I can see some)

Last edited by ke1v3y (2013-02-18 00:36:57)

#2 2013-02-11 15:51:55

ke1v3y

Re: [Solved] Help: Chowned and Chmodded to Themelessness

At the top of this image in xfce4-appearance-settings ran as myself; at bottom is the same command as root.

See link to picture:
http://i.imgur.com/fL1jN4x.jpg

EDIT: Re-edited to appease the mod-gods

Last edited by ke1v3y (2013-02-11 21:21:10)

#3 2013-02-11 16:32:03

chris_l

Well, checking my /usr/share/themes dir, I see all my files there are owned by user root, group root. The permission for the files are 644, and the permission for dirs are 755.
So, something like this may help:

cd /usr/share/themes
find|xargs -I file chown root:root file
find -type f|xargs -I file chmod 644 file
find -type d|xargs -I file chmod 755 file

Anyway, After that, I would reinstall any package related with themes. You can find what packages own files there, with the following command:

find|xargs -I file pacman -Qo file 2>/dev/null|sed 's/.* \([^ ]*\) [^ ]*$/\1/g'|sort |uniq

(note this takes a looong time to finish)
Do those commands as root. Make sure you are on the /usr/share/themes, and lastly but not less imporant: you are doing it on your own risk wink

EDIT: Ow, and by the way: store your manually downloaded themes on $HOME/.themes directory instead, or, even better, create PKGBUILDs for them and uploaded them to AUR smile

Last edited by chris_l (2013-02-11 16:37:38)

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#4 2013-02-11 17:52:49

ke1v3y

chris_l

Thank you for your quick reply! I won't be home until later this afternoon, so I'll have to get back with you and let you know how it goes.

I think the reason the themes didn't show up is because they're missing a specific file (some kind of index--don't remember exactly from the thread).

I'll edit later with more info.

#5 2013-02-11 18:39:56

chris_l

ke1v3y wrote:

I think the reason the themes didn't show up is because they're missing a specific file (some kind of index--don't remember exactly from the thread).

If you are missing a file, it means you did more than just chmoding and chowning. If you only executed chown and chmod, then you should not be missing any file.

No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#6 2013-02-11 18:59:32

ke1v3y

EDIT: Nevermind. See post #8.

Last edited by ke1v3y (2013-02-11 20:51:53)

#7 2013-02-11 19:56:31

chris_l

ke1v3y wrote:

If you're correct in that all themes should have that file

wait, I never said such thing. You said

ke1v3y wrote:

I chowned all of the folders in the /usr/share/themes directory to my username (ke1v3y) and chmodded the folders to be readable by Others. After doing this (in hope of getting the themes to show up), I realized that when I opened my Appearance Settings, I now had NO themes visible.
(...)
I think the reason the themes didn't show up is because they're missing a specific file

I only said that if you only chowned and chmodded the files there, no file must be missing. (chmod and chown wont delete files)

No.

#8 2013-02-11 20:50:40

ke1v3y

chris_l wrote:
ke1v3y wrote:

If you're correct in that all themes should have that file

wait, I never said such thing. You said

ke1v3y wrote:

I chowned all of the folders in the /usr/share/themes directory to my username (ke1v3y) and chmodded the folders to be readable by Others. After doing this (in hope of getting the themes to show up), I realized that when I opened my Appearance Settings, I now had NO themes visible.
(...)
I think the reason the themes didn't show up is because they're missing a specific file

I only said that if you only chowned and chmodded the files there, no file must be missing. (chmod and chown wont delete files)

Apologies for misquoting you! I should've looked more carefully when posting.

Anyways, the code you gave me just finished running; below is the output:

[root@localhost themes]# find|xargs -I file pacman -Qo file 2>/dev/null|sed 's/.* \([^ ]*\) [^ ]*$/\1/g'|sort |uniq
gtk2
gtk2-xfce-engine
gtk3
gtk3-xfce-engine
gtk-engines
librsvg
xfce4-session
xfwm4
xfwm4-themes

In the meantime, someone on another thread (not on the Arch site, but I digress) mentioned that themes would not show up in xfce4-appearance-settings if they didn't have the index.theme extension. The workaround they provided was to manually add those themes to the Appearance Settings; however, the person who posted was on a completely different distro (don't remember which one).

I wasn't sure if the theme.index files were omitted by a corrupt download or if there was something I was completely missing.

EDIT: Added output of command.

Last edited by ke1v3y (2013-02-11 21:05:39)

#9 2013-02-11 22:47:09

chris_l

Well, the idea is to reinstall those packages.

# pacman -S gtk2 gtk2-xfce-engine gtk3 gtk3-xfce-engine  gtk-engines librsvg xfce4-session xfwm4 xfwm4-themes

No.

#10 2013-02-18 00:36:30

ke1v3y

chris_l, thank you for your help. I was able to solve my issues.

cool

Board footer