You are not logged in.

#126 2015-03-10 18:44:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Should I go Arch?

KeyKobra09 wrote:

My question is, will i handle arch with only 1 year of ubuntu experience

Yes.

I started using Arch as my main system three months after I started using GNU/Linux (Xubuntu was my first distribution).

As long as you like learning new skills and are not averse to reading lots of wiki & man pages, you will be fine.
smile

#127 2015-03-11 13:17:27

poiuyt23

When you are ready for Arch:
You use the Arch wiki to solve the problems and bugs you find in other distros until it dawns on you that installing Arch and having the directions that you are reading line up with what is on your current computer would be easier than translating them to your current distro.

#128 2015-04-13 13:17:27

MikeXD_123

For me it was simply the fact that I wanted to learn more about linux, and I knew Arch would force me to do that. I read (and am reading) the wiki constantly to learn the ins and outs about Arch. If not only for the reason that Arch teaches you more about linux, then switch because it is just FUN! Getting things setup the way you want it is rewarding, and I love trying something new, like a new desktop environment or display manager. I even played around with Wayland a bit. I love being able to just use my home computer as a test-bed for coming up with new ways to learn and have fun with linux. smile

I'm Mike - proud member of the open source community, a linux user, and student of information technology cool
"You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me. Come to the dark side, Sarah. We have cookies." - Linus Torvalds

#129 2015-04-14 02:30:11

sesese9
Website

Skyxer wrote:

Computer Engineering

1. How is that type of Degree? I am looking into that degree...
2. Arch is great! Usually the issues that can happen are fixed.
3. Have fun!

Just trying to figure things out in this world

#130 2015-05-16 05:33:26

Schwertspize

I think, The best way is to buy an USB drive with 4 or 8 gb, run a vm, only connect the USB key and just install arch on this pendrive. If you faill, there is only /dev/sda and you lost NOTHING than some time, because if you dont succeed, Just try it again. Read the beginners guide and if you got that install, Just power off the vm and your computer and try booting from that USB dongle. If you can boot and get into an login shell, or into bash, you may try it on your hard disk. Probably even boot from the USB key instead of the image, just Google "arch install scripts" and read the wiki guide.
BTW you can then try arch on the USB stick and if you dont like it, you can just Reboot and format the USB, so give It a try.
Remember that in this case you Cannot install everything on your USB pen drive, The bash system is about 1,5 gb but a desktop might cost much more space then just a bash and the coding tools in base-devel.

Last edited by Schwertspize (2015-05-16 05:37:02)

#131 2015-05-16 18:30:58

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Skip the dongle and make an image. Costs less. wink

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#132 2016-02-09 16:31:22

Skyxer

Can't believe five years have passed since I've posted this, and I'm still loving Arch!
Yes, everyone should go arch, I've learnt so much by breaking it, fixing it, installing it and breaking it again.

The wiki and the forums have everything you need, and after all this time there are few other distros that kept my interest like this one.

#133 2016-02-10 05:27:27

x33a
Forum Fellow
Website

Haha, so you proved Jason wrong wink

#134 2016-09-29 05:59:20

orasis

Even though I am not on Arch right now (I am using Slackware) ... I would say yes, yes and yes.

Great community and a really fun distro to learn and mess around with. It's also fast as ....

Oh and the documentation is probably THE BEST of any non commercial distro out.

Thurin1 @ irc.freenode.net #archlinux

#135 2016-10-11 15:16:34

Quicken2k

Does anyone here actually use Arch as a day to day OS. Thinking about moving to Arch and just keep Windows for gaming.

#136 2016-10-11 15:18:51

GTRONICK

Hello, I use ArchLinux every day. Is the only OS I have installed in my PC. I also use it for gaming with excellente results.

#137 2016-10-11 15:18:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Should I go Arch thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#138 2016-10-11 15:58:30

drcouzelis
Website

Quicken2k wrote:

Does anyone here actually use Arch as a day to day OS. Thinking about moving to Arch and just keep Windows for gaming.

Yes, there are tons of people who use Arch Linux as their primary or only operating system. Myself included. smile

I started dual booting Linux and Windows in college in 2001. I deleted my Windows partition and have been using Linux exclusively since 2003.

Is there a feature of Windows (other than Windows specific games) that prevents you from using Linux all the time?

Last edited by drcouzelis (2016-10-11 15:59:15)

#139 2016-10-11 16:10:34

ewaller
Administrator

Quicken2k wrote:

Yep.  I have a Windows partition over in the corner of my drive.  It is getting dusty -- have not started it since February.  It exists only for one piece of software; a scoring system for officiating gymnastics meets.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#140 2016-10-11 16:50:36

mrunion
Website

Quicken2k wrote:

It's the only OS I use, and my entire family uses Linux as well (just not Arch). For me, keeping windows for games only is just no reason to keep Windows. Buy a PlayStation or X Box one, is my opinion. It's all a matter of priorities, though. No game in the world is worth enough for me to play to put Windows in my house again.

Windows-free for over 10 years and LOVING it!

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#141 2016-10-11 17:14:27

Daerandin
Website

Quicken2k wrote:

I see a lot of people have already answered this, but I also feel the need to say that Arch is the only OS on my primary home computer which I use for both work and play (I do play a lot of games). I came to Arch as a newbie, and I did make some early blunders on my first Arch install since I dived into it with no prior knowledge. However, it was a very rewarding learning experience and I have now been running Arch for the last three years without any issues that I can recall.

I can't imagine using another OS, even for gaming. Currently I am able to play all of my favorite games on Linux, either from native Linux versions or with Wine.

#142 2016-10-24 23:15:51

Texbrew

mrunion wrote:
Quicken2k wrote:

It's the only OS I use, and my entire family uses Linux as well (just not Arch). For me, keeping windows for games only is just no reason to keep Windows. Buy a PlayStation or X Box one, is my opinion. It's all a matter of priorities, though. No game in the world is worth enough for me to play to put Windows in my house again.

Thread is gathering a little dust, but I concur, mrunion. I'm not much of a gamer these days - I like solitaire - but I can't imagine any game good enough to keep the OS you mentioned.

There's a laptop in the house running that OS - my wife's. But it gathers dust as she favors using her tablets.

A neighbor widow lady keeps getting malware on  her "that OS" PC, and I do my best to clean it up, but it's frustrating at times. The lady is very forgetful, which compounds the problem.

For my own use it's been pure linux for 3+ years. can't imagine ever going back.

tex

Edit: @Daerandin, I think linux games + wine is a great suggestion for gamers considering switching to linux. Truth, I installed wine on one linux box but haven't tried any games or other software with it.

Last edited by Texbrew (2016-10-24 23:23:08)

#143 2016-11-01 20:08:53

Brcher

Texbrew wrote:
mrunion wrote:
Quicken2k wrote:

Thread is gathering a little dust, but I concur, mrunion. I'm not much of a gamer these days - I like solitaire - but I can't imagine any game good enough to keep the OS you mentioned.

There's a laptop in the house running that OS - my wife's. But it gathers dust as she favors using her tablets.

A neighbor widow lady keeps getting malware on  her "that OS" PC, and I do my best to clean it up, but it's frustrating at times. The lady is very forgetful, which compounds the problem.

For my own use it's been pure linux for 3+ years. can't imagine ever going back.

tex

Edit: @Daerandin, I think linux games + wine is a great suggestion for gamers considering switching to linux. Truth, I installed wine on one linux box but haven't tried any games or other software with it.

I use arch as my main machine. It is fairly easy to manage once you've set it up. I'd say rolling release is much more stable than non-rolling. I've heard too many horror stories from people upgrading their whole OS at a time. From a debugging point of view, changing every program at a time is insane, I don't understand how that has become the default assumption for every OS out there. I love arch.

But there are plenty of reasons to keep a windows PC around for games. The goodness of arch needn't be evidence of the badness of windows. For me, I keep in touch with a few old friends through Steam gaming (we all dispersed after college, so it is nice to be able to still play games together). No individual game is worth keeping Windows around, but the overall experience is absolutely worth is (and it isn't as if Windows is some horrible thing to keep around on a mostly powered off gaming pc). I did the steam linux thing. I did the WINE thing. They are fun hobby projects, but not particularly plesant as an end user. Windows basically functions as a console.

I'd never try to get actual work done on Windows, though. The uber-tweakable nature of Arch is amazing. All the appropriate programs are a few keystrokes away.

#144 2016-11-04 18:12:40

Texbrew

@Brcher, excellent points about the reasoning behind doing full distribution upgrades. My other mainstay OS is Debian 7 "Wheezy". When Debian 8 "Jesse" (new stable) came out, I installed it in a VM. It still only resides in VM's, recently upgraded to version 8.6  I don't care for the default Gnome interface, but Gnome "Classic" in Jesse seems buggy to me. I my never switch from Wheezy to Jesse.

I dwell in a strange pardox which contains at least two facets; I don't really like major changes as presented above, yet I whole-heartedly embrace Arch Linux and use it every day. Weird.

Another facet of this paradox is that I don't trust the popular non-linux OS, but I trust linux, which is made up from contibutions by people from all over the world. An example of that trust, I wouldn't do online banking or make purchases from the big OS, I do both from linux. And like you, I wouldn't do any important work in a non-linux system.

Enough about that. I have no quarrel with anyone as to their choice(s) of what OS to use. I simply prefer linux.

tex

#145 2016-11-04 18:19:23

drcouzelis
Website

Texbrew wrote:

I dwell in a strange pardox which contains at least two facets; I don't really like major changes as presented above, yet I whole-heartedly embrace Arch Linux and use it every day. Weird.

I don't think it's too strange (if I'm understanding you correctly)... You don't like major changes, and Arch Linux doesn't have major changes. Instead, it presents you with 10 or so of the tiniest changes every day.

Sort of a "Ship of Theseus" sort of dealy.

#146 2016-11-04 19:07:12

Texbrew

drcouzelis wrote:
Texbrew wrote:

I don't think it's too strange (if I'm understanding you correctly)... You don't like major changes, and Arch Linux doesn't have major changes. Instead, it presents you with 10 or so of the tiniest changes every day.

Sort of a "Ship of Theseus" sort of dealy.

Hi Doc, for clarity's sake, switching to Arch was a major change for me, driven by raw curiosity plus boredom. Those things are each in themselves two-edged swords; can lead to disaster or amazing discovery as in my discovery of Arch.

Yes, the few small changes each day you mentioned are preferred over sweeping changes we get in non rolling release distros.

A quick scan of your wikipedia reference is thought provoking; being both a geek and a label reader, I will go back to it.

tex

#147 2017-03-03 16:28:11

Lemongrass

Hi there, everyone! smile

I would like to hear your opinion... I have always used Debian-based distributions when it came to Linux. Right now I'm using Debian Jessie Xfce as my main distro, and I'm fine with that, I could install the missing driver, and when a problem arose, I could fix that with Google + Debian Wiki, and I know a little shell scripting. I have Jessie Xfce because I wish to have more resources to the actual work that I'm doing.

I would like to ask your opinion: how much time could it take for me to learn Arch (to get to a level where I don't really have to spend much time on reverting my errors' consequences)? I only have one laptop (+backups), and I'm a bit afraid I break the whole laptop, mostly because this is my only laptop that I have and I work on it (if I choose Arch, I'm quite likely to try it in a VM first).

So, what do you think? What's the difference in performance between Arch Xfce and Debian Xfce and in other territories? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lemongrass (2017-03-03 16:40:48)

#148 2017-03-03 23:28:57

Texbrew

Hi Lemongrass, Welcome to the forums.

Well, you asked for opinions. First point, some people can install Arch and get it configured the way they want in a few hours. I think my first install took 8 hours or more, and I messed that up, had to do it again, paying a lot closer attention to instructions in the Arch Wiki. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide Some people can breeze through it all quickly, others take longer. I can't emphasis this enough - read the Wiki.

My first successful install was in VirtualBox running on a Debian laptop. I would definitely recommend you install arch in a VM first, since it's your only machine. Assuming you use VirtualBox, there are a couple of things you will need to do to get guest additions to work - don't use the guest additions from the Debian repos or from Oracle - they won't work, and it will waste your time. Follow this wiki page, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … _Additions and if you need help, ask.

I ran Arch in a VM for at least a couple of weeks in order to learn how it works before I ever attempted to install it on "bare metal". I now have Arch on three different machines, and I kept the Arch VM on my Debian laptop. I try to always upgrade/update the Arch VM first before I upgrade those three machines.

Another couple of options for you to consider; install Arch on a spare hard drive, or onto a USB thumb drive. If your laptop supports USB 3.0 that's better than USB 2.0 in terms of speed.

Your last question was about performance - Arch Xfce vs Debian Xfce. I have never installed Xfce on my Debian machines, only Gnome, and it's kind of bloated. My guess, Arch Xfce should perform as well or better than Debian Xfce.

You'll never know if Arch is a good fit for you until you try it, so why not try it?

tex

#149 2017-03-04 10:14:29

collector1871

Lemongrass wrote:

Hi there, everyone! smile

(...)
So, what do you think? What's the difference in performance between Arch Xfce and Debian Xfce and in other territories? Thanks in advance.

I have used Debian XFCE for years. And at this moment I am in Arch XFCE. You will not notice difference in performance, it is almost the same.

There is one thing that make Arch better than Debian in my opinion - packages and repositories. Debian has much more bugs, in software which I have chose. After moving to Arch - magic wand started working and bugs disappeared ! Arch has AUR which is much more updated, tested, better configured, dependencies are better selected. But it is only for Desktop, I think Debian is better for server.
So after using Debian XFCE for years, I can see in AUR we have much more quality in software dependencies, stability, configuration - but it is regarding only with desktop software.

It is only private opinion.

My: AUR and homepage .

#150 2017-03-04 21:17:39

c00ter

Welcome to Arch Linux, Lemongrass

In answer to your questions I can near-echo the previous poster. I ran Debian Testing for years before switching over to Arch totally, and used Xfce DE towards the last of my Debian experience. I have no gripes about Debian whatsoever, and am very grateful it s still here. But I like Arch better. Performance-wise, Arch & Debian both use a vanilla general use kernel by default. And as with both, you can also add custom kernels tailored to desktop performance or otherwise, as you want.

Xfce runs well in Arch and is a *snap* to setup. Installing and setting up Arch itself will give you a new appreciation for Debian's installers. wink I'm a firm believer in using the Wiki's Installation Guide for at least the first two installs--the first one sometimes doesn't "count" according to some users. wink  After that, there are a few install scripts scattered about the 'net and if you still like to play around alot on bare metal, then they make a re-installation a bit easier/faster. (However, 'we' only support Arch as installed per the Wiki, and no other.)

Pacman, the CLI package manager, for me is the glue that ties it all together, along with the AUR. Here is a link to the Pacman Rosetta that gives detailed information about Pacman and tabled contrasting commands in other package managers such as APT, etc.  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

Regards

Last edited by c00ter (2017-03-04 21:17:58)

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Board footer