You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-22 18:31:44

Aphexlog

I need help with Arch LXDE please (Package Manager)

I need help with Arch LXDE please.

I have been spending do much time researching this and nothing seems to work. I would mostly like a visual package manager and the cli command to install one. and none of the install commands seem to work whin I use pacman -S.

#2 2013-03-22 18:37:57

shulamy

Re: I need help with Arch LXDE please (Package Manager)

maybe those packages are in the aur.

ezik

#3 2013-03-22 18:42:44

alphaniner

How did you get LXDE installed if pacman isn't working?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2013-03-22 18:43:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you've spent time researching, what is it you've already read? We don't want to waste our time repeating steps.

When you say "nothing works", what does that mean?  What error messages do you get?

There are a handful of gui tools for pacman - which have you read about?  Which have you tried?  Which ones are close to what you want?  Which are not close?

When you say pacman -S doesn't work, what does that mean?  What error messages do you get?

You haven't provided nearly enough information to allow anyone to help you (let alone to inspire people to want to help you).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-03-22 18:44:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

alphaniner wrote:

How did you get LXDE installed if pacman isn't working?

I'm guessing it's not actually archlinux, but rather some derivative.  But that is currently just a guess - it will undoubtedly become clear after we've already invested some time on this.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-03-22 18:49:10

alphaniner

Trilby wrote:

I'm guessing it's not actually archlinux, but rather some derivative.

Me too. I was fishing. wink

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#7 2013-03-22 19:13:26

opt1mus
Website

In order for people to help you - the following site may be of interest to you, as you've not given much for us to go on;

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

#8 2013-03-22 19:15:35

Aphexlog

It's arch, and I tried to get gtkpacman installed, success so i thought, untill i ran the gtkpacman command and recieved 'WARNING: Can't find pacman in 'core' repo' and when i just click on the icon i get 'Failed to execute child process "gksu" (No such file or directory)'.. The reason i didnt mention what type of GUI for the package manager that i was looking for is because i was not being picky. i just installed arch off of a bootable flash drive and installed lxde... thats where im at.

#9 2013-03-22 19:22:18

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You really would be well advised to learn how to use pacman from the command line first. The error pacman is giving you suggests that you haven't fully understood how the AUR relates to the standard repos and pacman's role in that. I'd suggest re-reading the pacman, AUR and makepkg pages of the wiki so you get a good overview of package management in Arch.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer