You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-16 12:01:54

mxx

Pulseaudio: /run/user/<myuid>/pulse gets owned by root "randomly"

Hi,

I'm sorry I think it's impossible that this hasn't come up yet, but I'm unable to find anything related.

Since a month or so I have a weird problem with the ownership of /run/user/<myuid>/pulse/*

From time to time those files get owned by root without any obvious reason I can think of.
I then get the can't connect to audio bla bla messages when I try to run vlc.

When the problem appears I just chown <myuser> -R /run/user/<myuid>/pulse/ and everything's fine again.

Everytime I check pulseaudio runs as my user, I never caught it running as root. I don't understand why those files get owned by root from time to time.
/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
/usr/lib/pulse/gconf-helper

I'm using kde and pulse gets started automatically.
After logging in everything works fine. It *seems* random to me when this happens, although recently I have discovered that this happens when vlc's output module was set to automatic.
I've had files playing in vlc, hit the stop button and immediately hit play again which resulted in that error. Hitting stop, changing owner and hitting play worked.
I then changed audio output module in vlc to pulseaudio and wasn't able to reproduce it since.

But this still happens from time to time.
To make sure there are no old strange settings, I've deleted ~/.pulse already but this didn't help.

I'm sorry that I'm not posting logs since I have no idea where to start looking.
It would be great if someone could point me into the right direction in order to find out what's happening there.

Thank you very much!

Max

#2 2013-04-16 14:32:47

jrussell

Re: Pulseaudio: /run/user/<myuid>/pulse gets owned by root "randomly"

Perhaps check the modification/creation time of the files/directory and work from there, maybe they are being overwritten, not a permission change?

And then,
The files in /usr should be owned by root?

bitcoin: 1G62YGRFkMDwhGr5T5YGovfsxLx44eZo7U

#3 2013-04-24 14:23:14

mxx

Re: Pulseaudio: /run/user/<myuid>/pulse gets owned by root "randomly"

Thanks for your reply!

I noticed that I mixed things up. Not the contents of /run/user/<myuid>/pulse/* get owned by root, but the "pulse" directory itself.
I've just done a pacman -Syu. Let's see if it happens again smile

Board footer