You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-19 06:45:28

piedro

How to start firefox with different preferences for Gnome and KDE

Hello!

At the moment I use firefox and chromium in KDE. Now I am considering to install Gnome or maybe unity-for-arch in addition to some times use another desktop environment (more to follow, I want to make some comparisons...).

Now I imagine that firefox (now set to start dolphin as filemanager, kmail as mailer and okular as PDF viewer ...) will start in gnome using the same preferences that it uses integrated in KDE. Certainly that is not what I want: When using gnome I want firefox to open nautilus as file manager, thunderbird or evolution for mails and so forth ...

On the other hand I still like to share my bookmarks and passwords over desktop environments.

Is there a way to start firefox in gnome (or any other desktop eenvironment) with a partially different profile for good system integration while keeping other parts of my profile the same and in sync?

thx for reading,
piedro

#2 2013-04-19 06:51:25

fschiff

Re: How to start firefox with different preferences for Gnome and KDE

piedro wrote:

Is there a way to start firefox in gnome (or any other desktop eenvironment) with a partially different profile for good system integration while keeping other parts of my profile the same and in sync?

Two different firefox profiles? with two different .desktop files referencing those profiles and setup to only show in GNOME/KDE menus?

#3 2013-04-19 07:02:48

piedro

Probably ... I haven't known that the .desktop allow for all these options but it sounds good ... have to find out ... thx

#4 2013-04-19 07:03:52

WesleyDimble

and maybe try hard links for the sqlite databases that you want to share between said profiles. Worth a try.

#5 2013-04-19 11:35:15

cookies

Firefox has some sort of sync support (but I've never tried it). You might want to take a look at that, maybe it can do what you want.

#6 2013-04-19 12:41:59

piedro

I checked out the profile thing (" firefox -P ") - that works.
Then I checked syncing only favorites and chronic via the firefox sync service (yup, it's all encrypted!) - works like a charm.
Sso now I have to setup the desktop environments and edit the .desktop files ...

Aall this might take a some time, but I post here when I'm done ...

thx a lot for your hints,
cya, p.

Board footer