You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-22 20:54:59

ubunchu

[SOLVED] Execute command at boot to start up KDE (or other)

Hello,
Since I failed to solve this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=160501

and since it's urgent,
I need to start up KDE when everything has finished loading after boot.

I'd like to do this as simple and fast as it can be.

How I'd like to do it:
1: or by starting the command when I get logged into bash or zsh on tty1 (autologin@tty1 is enabled)
2: or disabling #1, and by starting KDE with systemd (avoiding DM's and time-consuming scripting)

Note: I shall need to launch KDE full-featured, so that the shutdown and reboot options appear. (if launched without some options, those options never appear, only logout)

I appreciate any help with this.
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!

Last edited by ubunchu (2013-04-22 23:28:42)

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED].

#2 2013-04-22 21:28:18

Raynman

Re: [SOLVED] Execute command at boot to start up KDE (or other)

Go back to the other thread for a minute. You just forgot to make the graphical target the default and after someone told you, systemd refused to overwrite the existing symlink and you gave up instead of checking the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … ists_error

Otherwise option 1 is a quick fix, 2 sounds like a broken version of 1 because you do not actually log in. And I wonder what you are getting at with 'time-consuming scripting' and 'if launched without some options,..'

#3 2013-04-22 22:32:55

ubunchu

Raynman wrote:

Go back to the other thread for a minute. You just forgot to make the graphical target the default and after someone told you, systemd refused to overwrite the existing symlink and you gave up instead of checking the wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … ists_error

Düüüüüüüüüüüüde! Thank you soooo much!
Posting another question on another thread solved the first one hahaha.
Thank you!!

Raynman wrote:

Otherwise option 1 is a quick fix, 2 sounds like a broken version of 1 because you do not actually log in. And I wonder what you are getting at with 'time-consuming scripting' and 'if launched without some options,..'

By time-consuming scripting I meant that when I did a systemd service file, it was time consuming (at least for me, until I read the wiki and stuff)
And by "if launched without some options" I meant, that if I launch "xinit /usr/bin/startkde" most likely some features will be missing, such as the shutdown and reboot (among others).

But if I were to launch a command at boot, how should I do it?

Thank you again!

#4 2013-04-22 23:01:30

Raynman

ubunchu wrote:

But if I were to launch a command at boot, how should I do it?

Well, with systemd you would typically write a service file (which, like most things, would take some time the first time you do it, reading man pages etc.).

To start something on (auto)login, you can add a command to .zprofile or .bash_profile. So some people add `startx` and then in .xinitrc they have `startkde` or `openbox`. I don't think you need any special parameters; you may be referring to ck-launch-session (a command, not a parameter), but that no longer applies, you just need a login session (see loginctl), which you normally get by logging in (on tty or through a DM).

#5 2013-04-22 23:28:31

ubunchu

Thank you, that's all I needed to know.
I'll look into them.
Thank you!

And thank you again big_smile
(You saved me a few more hours/days of research)

Solved.

Board footer