You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-18 23:05:30

TheGuyWithTheFace

[SOLVED] How to use Awesome as xfce's default window manager?

Hello World!

I would like to use awesome as xfce's default window manager, but I can't seem to do it. Here's what I've tried:

This article: http://mancoosi.org/~abate/xfce4-and-awsome
suggested making a custom session under user preferences. Well, I see no "user preferences" menu for xfce. I poked around in the settings manager, and I saw a thing where I can save and delete sessions, but not a button for creating a session. Am I missing an obvious setting here?

I also tried adding awesome as a startup application with the --replace option, but no dice.

Any thoughts, suggestions, hints, or solutions would be much appreciated.

(By the way, I initially used only awesome, but with the xfce4-panel. This is alright, but I'm missing many xfce features such as a network menu indicator and other things, and while I know I could manually install them by hand, I think that's a bit over my head at the moment, so that's why I'm trying to primarily use xfce with the awesome window manager.)

Last edited by TheGuyWithTheFace (2013-07-19 02:07:45)

#2 2013-07-19 00:03:40

Deedasmi

Re: [SOLVED] How to use Awesome as xfce's default window manager?

http://shroffabhishek.net/post/10

This is the "guide" I used when installing i3. Should be the same.

tl;dr, kill xfwm and xfdesktop (this one is more optional. I leave it on to handle the background image), tell them to never restart, and set awesome as a startup application.

Last edited by Deedasmi (2013-07-19 00:04:05)

Linux Newbie. I would not take my advice for granted.

#3 2013-07-19 02:07:21

TheGuyWithTheFace

ok, thanks!

#4 2013-07-19 02:57:38

cris9288

I could be wrong, but xfce4 is fairly modular - if you try and install one of the xfce4 apps from pacman you'll notice they don't come with the huge amount of dependencies that gnome packages do. This way you can use them outside of an "xfce4 desktop". Why not just use awesome and have it autostart xfce4-panel, thunar, and whatever other xfce4 apps you want?

#5 2013-07-19 03:02:03

TheGuyWithTheFace

Well, I was having issues getting the xfce logout menu, network menu, notifications, etc start, and I figured it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Actually though, once I set awesome as xfce's window manager, the same thing happened, so I guess at this point, a la the arch way, I'll just take the time to learn more about getting some useful arch widgets installed.

#6 2013-07-19 03:22:33

cris9288

I think if you install and start xfce4-panel it should handle all the starting/stopping of the various widgets/applets like the notification area, action buttons, network etc. There might be some other dependencies like polkit, xfce4-session, etc.

Now that I think about it though, it might just be easier to do it the other way around - install the whole xfce4 package and replace the wm with awesome.

#7 2013-07-19 03:45:00

TheGuyWithTheFace

cris9288 wrote:

Now that I think about it though, it might just be easier to do it the other way around - install the whole xfce4 package and replace the wm with awesome.

That's why I started this thread. As it turns out, though, I just decided to bite the bullet and learn a bit more about awesome on it's own.

#8 2013-08-30 07:29:15

ibrahima

TheGuyWithTheFace wrote:
cris9288 wrote:

That's why I started this thread. As it turns out, though, I just decided to bite the bullet and learn a bit more about awesome on it's own.

So, did you end up using Awesome by itself or with XFCE? I'm considering switching to Arch from Ubuntu and currently I use Awesome on top of GNOME but I don't like how GNOME affects the login time, but I like the GNOME panel and was considering trying XFCE with Awesome instead. What did you end up doing? I may just end up switching to bare Awesome assuming I can find a nice login/logout widget, I think that's really the main thing I'm looking for.

#9 2013-08-30 15:20:54

TheGuyWithTheFace

Hi ibrahima, welcome to the forums!

I did get xfce working fine with awesome as the window manager, but the way the xfce panel displayed tabbed windows got on my nerves, so I eventually switched to pure awesomeness (pun intended) and I liked that much better. If you're not sure, though, you can have xfce (with awesome as it's window manager) as a sepparate logon option from a pure awesome setup, and simply select which one you want to use when you log on.

#10 2013-08-30 17:44:57

nomorewindows

If this method has been perfected, maybe it could be added to the wiki.  There was a way to make gnome use awesome for the window manager, so now maybe we have it in for xfce.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer