You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-25 02:32:50

Lawless Flogic

[moot] rEFIt calls arch mac os... not at all important, but a bother

This is the definition of trivial, it really doesn't matter, I'm just curious. Ive installed Arch on my macbook dual booting with osx, everything works great. but one thing is that I'm using the refit boot loader and it gives 2 options with apple logos that say boot OSX. i can live with that but i was just wondering if maybe that can be corrected?

[edit] after severely messing everything up in order to fix the icons, I ended up reinstalling the whole thing and using a seperate partition to boot into grub using the OSX firware. marking as [moot]

Last edited by Lawless Flogic (2014-01-27 19:57:29)

#2 2014-01-25 02:46:47

WonderWoofy

Re: [moot] rEFIt calls arch mac os... not at all important, but a bother

This doesn't answer your question whatsoever, but rEFIt is a dead project and not commonly used around here.  You are much more likely to find help if you use rEFInd.  It is a fork of rEFIt which enjoys active development.  Its maintainer is also a regular on these forums.   I know at least with rEFInd you can indicate which icon should be used for a given entry.

#3 2014-01-25 05:36:34

Lawless Flogic

Re: [moot] rEFIt calls arch mac os... not at all important, but a bother

Aright, fair enough. I hadn't updated because ive used refit in the past and am used to it, but it sounds like I should probably update.

I'm gonna try to set up refind, but here's the problem I'm having with it. (it may be related to having refit before)

I got refind, reset the default boot volume in osx and deleted the efi folder created by refit (according to refit's uninstall instructions) then I ran the install script for refind, said "yes" when it asked to remove the refit blesser, rebooted, and it works fine until I boot into arch and then osx. When. I do that I get a grey progress meter followed by shutdown. If I start from my 10.9 boot USB and do a verify/repair with disk utility it will work until I go into arch again. Arch works, osx works, just not osx after arch.

I of course backed up before all this and backed up refit's efi directory, so worst case scenario I can go back to that, but it would be nice to get refind working. Any ideas?

Board footer