You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-23 16:17:28

Talisman

[solved] openocd 0.8.0-rc1 compiled without ft2232 support

I upgraded openocd this morning and it didn't want to talk to my Olimex USB Tiny. After some initial trouble-shooting it appears that the new version of openocd was compiled without support for ft2232_libftdi. I was able to get things working again by switching from the interface file in /usr/share/openocd/scripts/interface/ to the interface file in /usr/share/openocd/scripts/interface/ftdi/ which uses the ftdi driver.
If openocd isn't working for your device after the latest update you should check /usr/share/openocd/scripts/interface/ftdi/ for an interface file that matches your device.

#2 2014-04-24 17:37:55

daymoon

Re: [solved] openocd 0.8.0-rc1 compiled without ft2232 support

Hello gentlemen,

this should help someone who is struggling with non-functional debug on stm32 platform after OpenOCD upgrade to 0.8.0 rc1. So far I have used OpenOCD 0.7.0-3 from Arch repository and arm-none-eabi-gdb of version 7.4.1 from the same sources. My GDB script contained workaround.xml to redefine some register places etc. THIS WON'T WORK WITH OpenOCD 0.8.0 rc1. You have to comment or remove the line:

set tdesc filename gdb/workaround.xml

from your GDB script.

To be honest I do not know why the newest OpenOCD does not accept this GDB script step but it is a fact. To enable Googling, below is the ending part of GDB log as a result of using failing workaround.xml instruction in gdb script file:

Error: gdb requested a non-existing register
Info : dropped 'gdb' connection

I hope this post will be accessible for Google search a.s.a.p. so another embedded developers can save their time.

Let's code again.

#3 2014-05-31 08:35:14

Engelbrekt

Re: [solved] openocd 0.8.0-rc1 compiled without ft2232 support

Talisman wrote:

I upgraded openocd this morning and it didn't want to talk to my Olimex USB Tiny. After some initial trouble-shooting it appears that the new version of openocd was compiled without support for ft2232_libftdi. I was able to get things working again by switching from the interface file in /usr/share/openocd/scripts/interface/ to the interface file in /usr/share/openocd/scripts/interface/ftdi/ which uses the ftdi driver.
If openocd isn't working for your device after the latest update you should check /usr/share/openocd/scripts/interface/ftdi/ for an interface file that matches your device.

Thanks Talisman!
I had the exact same problem with olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h.cfg.
Switching to the version in the ftdi directory solved the problem.

Board footer