You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-25 10:48:00

Soukyuu

[Solved] Remote desktop windows -> linux, specific requirements

Accessing a windows machine remotely is simple, create an RDP profile including your username and password, save it and you're connected within seconds.

On linux, I am kind of lost. Basically, I will be only connecting to the linux machine over my home gigabit LAN only, so ideally I want it to
- be able to connect with one click (save credentials)
- have VM-like image quality and responsiveness
- be able to disconnect and reconnect to a session, with programs still running

I tried some alternatives and can't really find anything that fits the bill:
- NoMachine: awfully slow (10-15 seconds to connect, image lags a lot, image quality bad even on max quality setting), bugs me with creating a new session instead of reconnecting to my last one automatically and I can't find where I could change that.
- xrdp: comes close to what I need, fast and good image quality, but once I save the login information on the windows side, I'm stuck in a black screen.
- x2go: similar to xrdp quality wise, but cluttered UI and no "one click" way to log in, nor save credentials.

Any suggestions? Is there maybe a setting I missed which allows saving credentials? Personally, xrdp would be the preferred way for me because it doesn't involve installing yet another client on my PC.

Last edited by Soukyuu (2014-04-28 21:34:03)

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#2 2014-04-25 20:58:30

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] Remote desktop windows -> linux, specific requirements

Would vnc be a viable option?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vnc

#3 2014-04-25 21:56:59

Soukyuu

It would if I can find a viewer that allows me to save the password.. or the connection info. The one that came close was realVNC. I have the option to save the password, but it's secured by the master password. So in the end I have to enter a password anyway -_-

I tried ultraVNC and realVNC viewers, tightVNC only seems to have a server ... the viewer is Java and I'd prefer to not install java just for that.

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#4 2014-04-28 21:33:48

Soukyuu

Actually, ultraVNC also has an option to save the password. The documentation mentions a context menu, but there doesn't seem to be one (probably only if you use ultravnc as server). Still, the shortcut to save a profile, CTRL+ALT+F5, works.
When saving the profile, it will also ask if you want to save the password. I can now connect to my VM and it takes even less time that connecting with RDP in the windows world big_smile

Board footer