You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-30 17:05:51

MutantJohn

[SOLVED] libgtop-2.30.0-1 no longer contains libgtop-2.0.so.7?

Hey All,

I use Psensor and it seems it requires libgtop-2.0.so.7 but when I check to see if I have libgtop installed, it says that I do.

Has the updated version of the software stopped creating this wonderful shared object file? And if so, what temperature monitoring devices do you guys recommend? I do love my Psensor though... T_T

Last edited by MutantJohn (2014-06-04 07:04:49)

#2 2014-05-30 17:18:47

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] libgtop-2.30.0-1 no longer contains libgtop-2.0.so.7?

There was a soname bump, meaning the abi changed. The file is libgtop-2.0.so.10 now, you need to rebuild anything you have that was linked against the old file.

Last edited by Scimmia (2014-05-30 17:19:05)

#3 2014-05-30 17:34:50

MutantJohn

Interesting...

So, I figured I would take your advice and redownload the tarball and build it from scratch again.

However, when trying to use makepkg, I get this error :

psensor_json.c: In function ‘psensor_new_from_json’:
psensor_json.c:143:2: error: ‘json_object_object_get’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/json-c/json_object.h:290) [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
  oid = json_object_object_get(o, "id");
  ^
psensor_json.c:144:2: error: ‘json_object_object_get’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/json-c/json_object.h:290) [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
  oname = json_object_object_get(o, "name");
  ^
psensor_json.c:145:2: error: ‘json_object_object_get’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/json-c/json_object.h:290) [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
  otype = json_object_object_get(o, "type");

It seems like one of it's dependencies is deprecated. How should I handle this type of error aside from just using a different software package?

#4 2014-05-30 17:38:02

Scimmia
Fellow

Report that to the maintainer, he'll need to update the PKGBUILD. Adding -Wno-deprecated-declarations to the build flags should do it for now, but this needs to be fixed upstream before the deprecated functions are removed completely.

#5 2014-05-30 17:58:04

MutantJohn

This is going to sound a little stupid, but I've never dealt with build flags before.

# Maintainer: X0rg
# Contributor: marlock <marlock87@hotmail.com>
# Contributor: Diogo Leal <estranho@diogoleal.com>

pkgname=psensor
pkgver=0.8.0.6
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Psensor is a graphical hardware temperature monitor for Linux."
arch=('any')
url="http://wpitchoune.net/psensor"
license=('GPL2')
depends=('lm_sensors' 'gconf' 'gtk3>=3.4' 'help2man')
optdepends=('asciidoc: required to produce the html version of the faq'
    'libnotify: support for notifications on desktop'
    'libappindicator3: allow Psensor to export a menu into the Unity Menu bar'
    'libxnvctrl: NVIDIA X Ctrl library'
    'json-c: required for remote monitoring'
    'curl: required for remote monitoring'
    'libgtop: required for CPU usage'
    'libatasmart: for disk monitoring')
source=("http://wpitchoune.net/psensor/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz")
md5sums=('e40c85d80d3eb7ae51dfe2effa130fa4')

build() {
    cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
}

package() {
    cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"
    make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install
}

Do I put -Wno-deprecated-flags in the configure section?

#6 2014-05-30 19:38:17

anatolik
Developer

Here is updated PKGFILE that fixes your problem (and sets correct arch)

# Maintainer: X0rg
# Contributor: marlock <marlock87@hotmail.com>
# Contributor: Diogo Leal <estranho@diogoleal.com>

pkgname=psensor
pkgver=0.8.0.6
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Psensor is a graphical hardware temperature monitor for Linux."
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://wpitchoune.net/psensor"
license=('GPL2')
source=("http://wpitchoune.net/psensor/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz")
md5sums=('e40c85d80d3eb7ae51dfe2effa130fa4')

build() {
    cd $pkgname-$pkgver
    CFLAGS+=" -Wno-error"
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
}

check() {
    cd $pkgname-$pkgver/tests
    make check
}

package() {
    cd $pkgname-$pkgver
    make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install
}

But please report about this issue upstream so they will be able to fix the warning before json-c remove the deprecated API.

Read it before posting http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Ruby gems repository done right https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=182729
Fast initramfs generator with security in mind https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Booster

#7 2014-05-30 21:44:19

MutantJohn

I will report this issue but I'm curious, are you receiving the same install-recursive failed error?

I'm getting this :

Makefile:470: recipe for target 'install-recursive' failed
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

I'm not sure if more info is needed because the previous stdin output looks sane but this seems very odd.

#8 2014-05-31 01:37:38

Scimmia
Fellow

Where are you getting that error? anatolik's PKGBUILD should work, AFAIK.

The problem is that the build system uses "-Werror=deprecated-declarations", meaning it will throw an error when it uses a function the library has marked as deprecated instead of just throwing a warning. By using "-Wno-deprecated-declarations", it tells the build system to allow the use of deprecated functions. anatolik's solution is similar, it just uses "-Wno-error" to tell the build system not to stop on any warnings at all. A bit heavy handed, but it works.

#9 2014-05-31 11:32:59

loqs

There might still be some issues with the PKGBUILD
From namcap

$ namcap psensor-0.8.0.6
psensor-0.8.0.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz  psensor-0.8.0.6.tar.gz               
[user@arch ~/build/psensor]$ namcap psensor-0.8.0.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz 
psensor E: Files in /usr/share/icons/hicolor but no call to gtk-update-icon-cache or xdg-icon-resource to update the icon cache
psensor W: Description should not contain the package name.
psensor W: File (usr/etc/) exists in a non-standard directory.
psensor W: File (usr/etc/xdg/) exists in a non-standard directory.
psensor W: File (usr/etc/gconf/) exists in a non-standard directory.
psensor W: File (usr/etc/gconf/schemas/) exists in a non-standard directory.
psensor W: File (usr/etc/gconf/schemas/psensor.schemas) exists in a non-standard directory.
psensor W: File (usr/etc/xdg/autostart/) exists in a non-standard directory.
psensor W: File (usr/etc/xdg/autostart/psensor.desktop) exists in a non-standard directory.
psensor W: Dependency libgtop detected but optional (libraries ['usr/lib/libgtop-2.0.so.10'] needed in files ['usr/bin/psensor'])
psensor W: Dependency libnotify detected but optional (libraries ['usr/lib/libnotify.so.4'] needed in files ['usr/bin/psensor'])
psensor W: Dependency json-c detected but optional (libraries ['usr/lib/libjson-c.so.2'] needed in files ['usr/bin/psensor'])
psensor W: Dependency curl detected but optional (libraries ['usr/lib/libcurl.so.4'] needed in files ['usr/bin/psensor'])
psensor W: Dependency libatasmart detected but optional (libraries ['usr/lib/libatasmart.so.4'] needed in files ['usr/bin/psensor'])
psensor W: Dependency included and not needed ('help2man')

and from the makepkg install

make[3]: Entering directory '/home/user/build/psensor/src/psensor-0.8.0.6/src'
 /usr/bin/mkdir -p '/home/user/build/psensor/pkg/psensor/usr/bin'
  /usr/bin/install -c psensor '/home/user/build/psensor/pkg/psensor/usr/bin'
GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=xml:merged:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults /usr/bin/gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule ../src/psensor.schemas

(gconftool-2:3985): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Attached schema `/schemas/apps/psensor/graph/alpha_channel_enabled' to key `/apps/psensor/graph/alpha_channel_enabled'
WARNING: failed to install schema `/schemas/apps/psensor/graph/alpha_channel_enabled', locale `C': Unable to store a value at key '/schemas/apps/psensor/graph/alpha_channel_enabled', as the configuration server has no writable databases. There are some common causes of this problem: 1) your configuration path file /etc/gconf/2/path doesn't contain any databases or wasn't found 2) somehow we mistakenly created two gconfd processes 3) your operating system is misconfigured so NFS file locking doesn't work in your home directory or 4) your NFS client machine crashed and didn't properly notify the server on reboot that file locks should be dropped. If you have two gconfd processes (or had two at the time the second was launched), logging out, killing all copies of gconfd, and logging back in may help. If you have stale locks, remove ~/.gconf*/*lock. Perhaps the problem is that you attempted to use GConf from two machines at once, and ORBit still has its default configuration that prevents remote CORBA connections — put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in /etc/orbitrc. As always, check the user.* syslog for details on problems gconfd encountered. There can only be one gconfd per home directory, and it must own a lockfile in ~/.gconfd and also lockfiles in individual storage locations such as ~/.gconf

#10 2014-06-02 17:49:51

MutantJohn

Scimmia wrote:

Where are you getting that error? anatolik's PKGBUILD should work, AFAIK.

The problem is that the build system uses "-Werror=deprecated-declarations", meaning it will throw an error when it uses a function the library has marked as deprecated instead of just throwing a warning. By using "-Wno-deprecated-declarations", it tells the build system to allow the use of deprecated functions. anatolik's solution is similar, it just uses "-Wno-error" to tell the build system not to stop on any warnings at all. A bit heavy handed, but it works.

I'm not actually sure my the install-recursive keeps failing so for the time being, I've switched to Conky. I found a really great config file online and it's working great, for now.

I really did just copy-paste the PKGBUILD so I'm not sure why it keeps failing.

#11 2014-06-03 09:25:37

jeanfi

MutantJohn wrote:

Interesting...

So, I figured I would take your advice and redownload the tarball and build it from scratch again.

However, when trying to use makepkg, I get this error :

psensor_json.c: In function ‘psensor_new_from_json’:
psensor_json.c:143:2: error: ‘json_object_object_get’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/json-c/json_object.h:290) [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
  oid = json_object_object_get(o, "id");
  ^
psensor_json.c:144:2: error: ‘json_object_object_get’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/json-c/json_object.h:290) [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
  oname = json_object_object_get(o, "name");
  ^
psensor_json.c:145:2: error: ‘json_object_object_get’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/json-c/json_object.h:290) [-Werror=deprecated-declarations]
  otype = json_object_object_get(o, "type");

It seems like one of it's dependencies is deprecated. How should I handle this type of error aside from just using a different software package?

This is an known issue which has been reported few weeks ago and is fixed upstream.

You can:
- use the last psensor release which includes the fix (http://wpitchoune.net/psensor/files/pse … 0.2.tar.gz).
- apply the same fix that has been done upstream: you can get it from: http://wpitchoune.net/gitweb/?p=psensor … f858bec91e
- disable fail on warning option, I guess the solution mentionned in previous posts should work

#12 2014-06-03 09:31:31

jeanfi

anatolik wrote:

Here is updated PKGFILE that fixes your problem (and sets correct arch)

It sounds like the (optional) dependency libmicrohttpd is missing. It is required for building psensor-server if you want
to monitor remotely your computer.

But please report about this issue upstream so they will be able to fix the warning before json-c remove the deprecated API.

It is known and already fixed.

#13 2014-06-03 09:38:31

jeanfi

loqs wrote:

and from the makepkg install

make[3]: Entering directory '/home/user/build/psensor/src/psensor-0.8.0.6/src'
 /usr/bin/mkdir -p '/home/user/build/psensor/pkg/psensor/usr/bin'
  /usr/bin/install -c psensor '/home/user/build/psensor/pkg/psensor/usr/bin'
GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=xml:merged:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults /usr/bin/gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule ../src/psensor.schemas

(gconftool-2:3985): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Attached schema `/schemas/apps/psensor/graph/alpha_channel_enabled' to key `/apps/psensor/graph/alpha_channel_enabled'
WARNING: failed to install schema `/schemas/apps/psensor/graph/alpha_channel_enabled', locale `C': Unable to store a value at key '/schemas/apps/psensor/graph/alpha_channel_enabled', as the configuration server has no writable databases. There are some common causes of this problem: 1) your configuration path file /etc/gconf/2/path doesn't contain any databases or wasn't found 2) somehow we mistakenly created two gconfd processes 3) your operating system is misconfigured so NFS file locking doesn't work in your home directory or 4) your NFS client machine crashed and didn't properly notify the server on reboot that file locks should be dropped. If you have two gconfd processes (or had two at the time the second was launched), logging out, killing all copies of gconfd, and logging back in may help. If you have stale locks, remove ~/.gconf*/*lock. Perhaps the problem is that you attempted to use GConf from two machines at once, and ORBit still has its default configuration that prevents remote CORBA connections — put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in /etc/orbitrc. As always, check the user.* syslog for details on problems gconfd encountered. There can only be one gconfd per home directory, and it must own a lockfile in ~/.gconfd and also lockfiles in individual storage locations such as ~/.gconf

I have no idea how the ArchLinux build is working (I am not even an ArchLinux user) but you have to set export GCONF_DISABLE_MAKEFILE_SCHEMA_INSTALL=1.

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GN … Guidelines

#14 2014-06-03 22:59:58

MutantJohn

Oh wow, downloading version 1.0.2 totally makes it work again. Thank you so much, man.

It just sucks 'cause now I'm all hooked on Conky because this file I found makes it display so much and also my gpu temp.

So before I mark this thread as solved, does anyone know how to make Psensor display nVidia gpu temp? It's a simple nvidia query, isn't it? I might be able to just add it myself.

And why does Psensor always fail to make the connection to hddtemp?

Here's the console output when I startup Psensor :

$ psensor

[2014-06-03T22:54:54] [ERR] hddtemp: failed to open connection.

(psensor:29501): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'cb_menu_show'.  Did you compile with -rdynamic?

(psensor:29501): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'ui_appindicator_cb_sensor_preferences'.  Did you compile with -rdynamic?

(psensor:29501): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'ui_appindicator_cb_preferences'.  Did you compile with -rdynamic?

#15 2014-06-04 06:55:48

jeanfi

MutantJohn wrote:

So before I mark this thread as solved, does anyone know how to make Psensor display nVidia gpu temp? It's a simple nvidia query, isn't it? I might be able to just add it myself.

If you are using the proprietary NVidia driver it requires the NVCtrl header files (NVCtrl/NVCtrl.h NVCtrl/NVCtrlLib.h) when compiling Psensor, it is probably in an ArchLinux package.
If you are using the OpenSource driver, you can check that lmsensors is supporting it by using the command line 'sensors'.

And why does Psensor always fail to make the connection to hddtemp?

Here's the console output when I startup Psensor :

$ psensor

[2014-06-03T22:54:54] [ERR] hddtemp: failed to open connection.

Perhaps hddtemp daemon is not running for the same reason than on new Ubuntu releases, see http://wpitchoune.net/psensor/doc/faq.html#S_disk

(psensor:29501): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'cb_menu_show'.  Did you compile with -rdynamic?

(psensor:29501): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'ui_appindicator_cb_sensor_preferences'.  Did you compile with -rdynamic?

(psensor:29501): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find signal handler 'ui_appindicator_cb_preferences'.  Did you compile with -rdynamic?

These are new GTK handlers so you are probably using an old version of the psensor's glade files. You did not correctly install all psensor files.

Last edited by jeanfi (2014-06-04 06:57:18)

Board footer