You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-24 15:24:59

lolilolicon
Member
Registered: 2009-03-05
Posts: 1,716

If only there was this thing that...

Maybe next time you go "grrr", you'll be more likely to think of something constructive, something that would make you go 'ooh, nice', thanks to this thread. This is the hamster ball thread, a place where poor reality is converted into good imagination, and sometimes good imagination into good reality. Usually it goes like this:

Answer wrote:
Question wrote:

Silkworms are nice; if only there was a way to make clothes out of spiders.

Sure,
arachnoneurology.png
The book in question is SPIDER PSYCHOLOGY (21st Ed.). Amazingly insightful.


---

So I'll start: I wish there were a vim plugin that looks at my usage patterns and suggests better ways to do what I often do. For example, if I often did xi, it would suggest r.


This silver ladybug at line 28...

Offline

#2 2014-06-24 21:49:31

fungle
Member
Registered: 2014-05-01
Posts: 78

Re: If only there was this thing that...

lolilolicon wrote:

So I'll start: I wish there were a vim plugin that looks at my usage patterns and suggests better ways to do what I often do. For example, if I often did xi, it would suggest r.

This might not even be that relevant, but there is something called vim golf. If you want to try to optimize your keystrokes, give that a shot.

Offline

#3 2014-06-25 00:51:49

Runiq
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-10-29
Posts: 1,053

Re: If only there was this thing that...

As far as I'm aware, there's no plugin to suggest you better usage patterns, but there is something that can monitor command usage for you. It's called vim-croquet (ha!), and I've seen it mentioned on /r/vim a while ago.

Last edited by Runiq (2014-06-25 00:52:18)

Offline

#4 2014-06-25 02:06:46

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 20,116
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

Relatedly: a website where I could upload my shell history and, after some whirring and clicking noises, it would spit out a report detailing where I could find some efficiencies:

report wrote:

* Learn to use pushd & popd, you moron
* grep has an -i switch, the mnemonic is "imbecile"
* you are clearly in vi-mode: why all the backspacing, nincompoop?

That sort of thing. The paid service would include a more urbane dictionary of insults...


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#5 2014-06-25 02:16:04

drcouzelis
Member
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 2009-11-09
Posts: 3,570
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

jasonwryan wrote:

Relatedly: a website where I could upload my shell history and, after some whirring and clicking noises, it would spit out a report detailing where I could find some efficiencies...

I think posting your history to the Arch Linux forums would work pretty well in that regard. wink

Offline

#6 2014-06-25 02:16:20

Trilby
Forum Moderator
From: Massachusetts, USA
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 14,810
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

report wrote:

* Learn to use pushd & popd, you moron

That would be handy.  Just a couple days ago I changed one of my commonly used bash functions from something starting with a "prev=$(pwd)" and ending with "cd $prev" to finally use pushd/popd.  But even then, I first changed it to "pushd $(pwd); cd <other dir>; <do stuff>; popd"  This morning I looked at it and realized how dumb that was.


InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

Online

#7 2014-06-25 02:44:36

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 20,116
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

drcouzelis wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Relatedly: a website where I could upload my shell history and, after some whirring and clicking noises, it would spit out a report detailing where I could find some efficiencies...

I think posting your history to the Arch Linux forums would work pretty well in that regard. wink

How do we monetise that? smile

It would need to be automated as my histfiles are between 5-10K. There is a thread here somewhere (flicks on the karol signal) that compares people's top 20 commands...

Trilby wrote:

That would be handy.  Just a couple days ago I changed one of my commonly used bash functions from something starting with a "prev=$(pwd)" and ending with "cd $prev" to finally use pushd/popd.  But even then, I first changed it to "pushd $(pwd); cd <other dir>; <do stuff>; popd"

Oddly enough, it was using mercurial's brilliant patch queues that taught me the value of p{op,ush}d. The one feature where hg really outshines git, IMO.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#8 2014-06-25 14:12:44

lolilolicon
Member
Registered: 2009-03-05
Posts: 1,716

Re: If only there was this thing that...

fungle wrote:

This might not even be that relevant, but there is something called vim golf. If you want to try to optimize your keystrokes, give that a shot.

Ah, I have nearly forgotten completely about this. Thank you for reminding me.
EDIT: Really, if someone's going to build the vim AI sage of my dreams, vim golf would be a great place to collect data of different ways people do a certain thing in vim...

Runiq wrote:

As far as I'm aware, there's no plugin to suggest you better usage patterns, but there is something that can monitor command usage for you. It's called vim-croquet (ha!), and I've seen it mentioned on /r/vim a while ago.

Wow, that's some really advanced shit right there. I guess that's what happens when text editing becomes a sport.

Last edited by lolilolicon (2014-06-25 15:09:01)


This silver ladybug at line 28...

Offline

#9 2014-06-27 17:37:04

easysid
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-01-01
Posts: 243

Re: If only there was this thing that...

Something that would render people's phones useless inside a movie theatre. If pocket EMPs are a thing, sign me up for one tongue

Offline

#10 2014-06-27 19:20:20

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,434

Re: If only there was this thing that...

easysid wrote:

Something that would render people's phones useless inside a movie theatre. If pocket EMPs are a thing, sign me up for one tongue

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2991451.stm , http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack … movies.php and many many others ...

Edit: typo.

Last edited by karol (2014-06-27 19:57:11)

Offline

#11 2014-06-27 19:51:54

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 13,826

Re: If only there was this thing that...

If there were only this thing that, after a car runs out of gas on the bridge, would run along the side of the bridge, pick the car up, dump it over the edge into the water, and get traffic moving.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
You assume people are rational and influenced by evidence.  You must not work with the public much. -- Trilby
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Online

#12 2014-06-28 12:14:08

Blµb
Member
Registered: 2008-02-10
Posts: 223

Re: If only there was this thing that...

karol wrote:
easysid wrote:

Something that would render people's phones useless inside a movie theatre. If pocket EMPs are a thing, sign me up for one tongue

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2991451.stm , http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack … movies.php and many many others ...

Download the movie, watch at home with friends - cheaper drinks&food, no annoying cellphones, pause-button for when someone actually does need to take a call, or for bathroom breaks.
Not as "cool" and "social" though, but hey, it's the people who're driving people away from cinemas. The cinema owners can't really do much to improve their businesses.

Last edited by Blµb (2014-06-28 12:14:25)


You know you're paranoid when you start thinking random letters while typing a password.
A good post about vim
Python has no multithreading.

Offline

#13 2014-06-28 12:21:19

clfarron4
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2013-06-28
Posts: 2,162
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

ewaller wrote:

If there were only this thing that, after a car runs out of gas on the bridge, would run along the side of the bridge, pick the car up, dump it over the edge into the water, and get traffic moving.

I know in the UK that we have bright orange phones once every mile along the side of motorways. I wonder what they do...


Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

Offline

#14 2014-06-28 12:32:47

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 5,948
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

They're for when you need an emergency Tango.

Unfortunately, the deliveries are all like these

Last edited by WorMzy (2014-06-28 12:35:10)


Sakura:-
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Online

#15 2014-06-28 12:35:57

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,434

Re: If only there was this thing that...

They were set up by and eavesdropped by the News of the World so they can get all the news about accidents, assaults etc. first.

Offline

#16 2014-06-28 13:06:03

clfarron4
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2013-06-28
Posts: 2,162
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

WorMzy wrote:

They're for when you need an emergency Tango.

Unfortunately, the deliveries are all like these

Oh dear lord! I was scared of those adverts when I was little (hiding behind the sofa scared).

I was wondering whether there was anything to stop the carnivorous sheep of Cumbria from putting massive dents into cars and chasing after you.


Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

Offline

#17 2014-07-29 15:15:13

lolilolicon
Member
Registered: 2009-03-05
Posts: 1,716

Re: If only there was this thing that...

All window managers suck! Until one of them can switch focus to whichever window I have my focus on.


This silver ladybug at line 28...

Offline

#18 2014-07-29 15:25:13

Trilby
Forum Moderator
From: Massachusetts, USA
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 14,810
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

lolilolicon wrote:

All window managers suck! Until one of them can switch focus to whichever window I have my focus on.

Most window managers can do this provided they have a 'focusfollowmouse' option - that's all the software that is needed.  Now you just need an eyetracker to function as your mouse.

While not comercially marketted for such purposes (yet), this would not be particularly hard to implement.


InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

Online

#19 2014-07-29 15:27:45

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,434

Re: If only there was this thing that...

Use monocle layout so that you have only one window per screen and use just one screen.

Offline

#20 2014-07-29 15:53:03

Runiq
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-10-29
Posts: 1,053

Re: If only there was this thing that...

lolilolicon wrote:

All window managers suck! Until one of them can switch focus to whichever window I have my focus on.

…what about a window manager that tracks your eye movements, using your webcam, and focuses whichever window you have your eyes on?

Offline

#21 2014-07-29 16:13:30

Trilby
Forum Moderator
From: Massachusetts, USA
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 14,810
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

Runiq wrote:

…what about a window manager that tracks your eye movements, using your webcam

You have a way of doing that?  If you write a program that can get the needed resolution of eyetracking from a webcam ... <put anything you'd like here>.  I bet you can't.


InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

Online

#22 2014-07-29 16:21:21

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,434

Re: If only there was this thing that...

Are suggesting a new xf86 extension? 'I spy with my little eye'?


I'd love if my keyboard was made of ice cubes.

Offline

#23 2014-07-29 16:25:02

Runiq
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-10-29
Posts: 1,053

Re: If only there was this thing that...

Trilby wrote:
Runiq wrote:

…what about a window manager that tracks your eye movements, using your webcam

You have a way of doing that?  If you write a program that can get the needed resolution of eyetracking from a webcam ... <put anything you'd like here>.  I bet you can't.

I totally can't—right now. But this sounds like an interesting project.

Edit: Wait, I misread. I have no idea what the resolution of the average webcam is… So yeah, this might not be feasible at all. sad

Last edited by Runiq (2014-07-29 16:28:21)

Offline

#24 2014-07-29 17:26:27

slithery
Member
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 879

Re: If only there was this thing that...

I had a Canon SLR many moons ago (35mm film) that used to do eye-tracking and auto-focus on whatever you were looking at in the viewfinder.

This webcam idea sounds cool, I reckon you'd need a good few MP to make it work though.

Offline

#25 2014-07-29 17:47:23

Trilby
Forum Moderator
From: Massachusetts, USA
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 14,810
Website

Re: If only there was this thing that...

Oh a webcam could certainly do it if it were mounted on a helmet / glasses.  Just like the camera can do it when your eye is right up against the viewfinder.  But a normally mounted webcam capturing a moving image of a face and having to get the position and angle of gaze at a small enough margin of error to get an accurate screen position - I just don't think it's possible with that hardware.


InterrobangSlider
• How's my coding? See this page.
• How's my moderating? Feel free to email any concerns, complaints, or objections.

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB