You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-20 14:19:27

p90

Pulseaudio: use value of an analog volume wheel on start

Hi,

following problem:

my laptop has a analog audio wheel.
By analog I mean that it has a maximum, a minimum and you can always read its current value somehow in contrast to a digital
volume wheel which does not have a maximum or minimum and just triggers a "volume down/up" event when turned.

Right now, when I am running pulse audio and move the wheel, pulseaudio automatically adjusts its mastervolume to the value of wheel.
So far so good.
The problem is, it does not do this on start meaning I always start with a default volume and not with the current value of the wheel.

So if I turn the wheel to 0 (mute) and start pulseaudio, the volume will be by the default 100%. If I move the wheel by the slightest, pulseaudio
jumps to the correct value.

So my questions would be:
How can I get pulseaudio to use the value on my wheel on start?
What is responsible for monitoring this wheel in the first place? I checked acpi_listen which shows nothing as well as xev which does not show any events as well.
So who or what is tracking them? Just asking out of interest and maybe the answer will lead me to the solution of question 1.

with best regards,

p90

#2 2014-11-20 19:34:49

Xaero252

Re: Pulseaudio: use value of an analog volume wheel on start

You're probably going to need to find that in the device node tree. It's hard to tell where that device node might be but lsusb or lspci might have some insight. Once you get the device node, play around with cat on the files in its tree, one will probably contain the value associated with volume level, at which point you should be able to write a script or udev rule to trigger the volume adjustment automatically.

#3 2014-11-26 08:13:38

p90

Re: Pulseaudio: use value of an analog volume wheel on start

Hm, okay. This seems a bitter harder then I expected.

Btw, why should this wheel be visible by lsusb or lspci? Make I did not describe it well enough, the wheel is directly next to my headset connectors and from what I have read so far most likely somehow connected to my intel soundcard.

I will keep on investigating and write some more then I find something out.

Board footer