You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-18 02:26:21

donny662

grub-mkconfig does nothing

I'm running Arch as a dom0 for a Xen hypervisor (which I hope has nothing to do with this issue).  I edited the /etc/xen/grub.conf file and went to run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg, but nothing happened.  There was no console output.  I let it run for over five minutes before killing the command with ctrl^c.

Setting grub-mkconfig to output the config file to stdout shows nothing, and any designated output file is not created or modified.

Since I hadn't used this Arch installation in a while, I did a system upgrade to no effect.  I also reinstalled grub, and that didn't fix the issue either.  grub-mkconfig still just hangs.

My troubleshooting has thus far been the package updates, web search, and dmesg inspection.

Does anyone know what this issue could be? Are there any log files I should inspect?  Is there anything I can do to help you help me?

#2 2015-01-25 23:40:38

EscapedNull

Re: grub-mkconfig does nothing

Maybe try running it under strace and posting the output here. Usually the output is pretty meaningless to non-developers, but occasionally you'll see a program try to access a file without checking for errors, or something of that nature. It's all I can think of off the top of my head.

#3 2016-08-05 07:20:00

aligator

Re: grub-mkconfig does nothing

I know, this thread  is old, but I hav the same problem. (But I don't use Xen)

here is the strace ooutput
https://bpaste.net/show/47930215222d

Last edited by aligator (2016-08-05 07:21:11)

Board footer