You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-24 09:42:05

marco_silva85

i3 with kde services for automatizing tasks

Hello,
I am currently using i3, but I miss the automatization of stuff that I had in previous DE's:
e.g.: automounting of USB drives, detect external monitors and set them automatically, auto-connect to the network, suspend when battery is low or lid is closed...

In KDE, these were provided by "Background services", e.g. powerdevil, kscreen, device_automounter...

How can I start and use these services in i3 or any other window manager, without using full blown KDE?

Ńote: I also tried to set i3 as the window manager of KDE (in systemsettings5) but it brings more problems than what it solves.

Last edited by marco_silva85 (2016-06-24 09:43:52)

#2 2016-06-24 10:02:13

Docbroke

Re: i3 with kde services for automatizing tasks

All those can be solved one by one. Search wiki for "list of applications" and look into relevent sections, you are probably looking for things like, udisks, networkmanager, acpid, some xrandr gui wrapper etc.,
You can ask again here if you face any more problems with that.

#3 2016-06-27 13:05:35

marco_silva85

Docbroke wrote:

All those can be solved one by one. Search wiki for "list of applications" and look into relevent sections, you are probably looking for things like, udisks, networkmanager, acpid, some xrandr gui wrapper etc.,
You can ask again here if you face any more problems with that.

Indeed there are alternatives, and it's good to have them.

For this question, I found out that indeed I can use these "KDE background services" outside a normal KDE environment, in my case with i3:
  * By opening systemsettings5 (KDE settings), going to "Startup & Shutdown->Background Services" and then chose the services I want to use from the list and click "Start".

However, I would like to know how to auto-start them at boot time / i3 session startup, does anyone know?

Last edited by marco_silva85 (2016-06-27 13:06:26)

#4 2016-06-27 13:24:40

arojas
Developer

marco_silva85 wrote:

However, I would like to know how to auto-start them at boot time / i3 session startup, does anyone know?

Try running kded5 at startup. Not sure if that will work outside a Plasma session though

Board footer