You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-24 20:11:21

Raize

Dual-Screen Dual-GPU

I am trying to set up two monitors, each one running off a separate GPU.
My DE is LXDE.
The lspci output for VGA is as follows:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770]

I've got the following in 20-radeon.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier             "Radeon0"
        Driver                 "radeon"
        BusID                  "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier             "Radeon1"
        Driver                 "radeon"
        BusID                  "PCI:2:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier             "Monitor0"
        Option                 "Primary" "true"
        Option                 "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
        Option                 "Position" "0 0"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier             "Monitor1"
        Option                 "PreferredMode" "1440x900"
        Option                 "Position" "1920 0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier             "Screen0"
        Device                 "Radeon0"
        Monitor                "Monitor0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier             "Screen1"
        Device                 "Radeon1"
        Monitor                "Monitor1"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Main Layout"
        Screen          0 "Screen0"
        Screen          1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    EndSection

The second screen works, I can launch windows on it using DISPLAY=:1.0 before the command, which would be enough for my purposes if there were not the two following problems:

1. I have no way of window switching on the second screen. The second window I launch will be 'over' the first window and there is no way to bring the first window to the front again.
2. The second screen immediately and permanently loses keyboard focus as soon as I do anything on the first screen. After that, it is not possible to get keyboard focus back to the second screen by clicking in fields with the mouse.

I hope someone can help with this. I have googled extensively and have not found any solution except maybe to use a different DE - but I don't want to unless it's really the only way.

Last edited by Raize (2016-06-24 20:15:05)

#2 2016-06-27 20:54:59

Expeto

Re: Dual-Screen Dual-GPU

First of all is there a specific reason for using a dual gpu? Both of your cards easily handle multiple monitors alone. I have been using a single gpu triple head config for years without a problem.

Don't try a different DE, try a WM as a test since there much less stuff to think about. I suggest openbox as it is the WM of the lxde and works pretty fine with dual heads(YMMV).

If bug consists, you can try different xrandr config (arandr makes things easier). Also there are some multihead options in catalyst control center if you are willing to install catalyst.

#3 2016-06-29 19:13:54

Raize

Re: Dual-Screen Dual-GPU

I got it working well enough now. All I had to do was run a WM on the second screen. Bit of a stupid mistake but I suppose this IS the newbie corner. Thanks for your post which led me in the right direction tongue

The dual GPU is for multiboxing games. I don't actually WANT a second screen, it's just that it means I can bring both GPUs into play and effectively double the number of windows I can run before running into a GPU bottleneck.

Last edited by Raize (2016-06-29 19:14:17)

Board footer