You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-13 20:50:55

ubunchu

Leafpad unsaved document temp file?

Hi, I had 2 opened leafpad windows, when KDE crashed, and I need to recover those documents.
Any luck where I could find them? I also created dump files (hopefully, with gcore) but I only got garbled text, what could I do?
I did not reboot computer (just KDE restarted after a very long time), therefore it should still be around in RAM or somewhere?

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED].

#2 2016-07-14 02:36:47

JohnBobSmith

Re: Leafpad unsaved document temp file?

"Around in RAM or somewhere" is very unlikely. Even if the file was in RAM, it would be nearly impossible to retrieve without special tools. Does leafpad autosave? Do you have any lost+found folders (although I believe these are only created/needed after complete system crash...)? You might be able to find information in /tmp since you haven't rebooted. If these files arent absolutely critical, maybe re-writing them from a recent save would be quicker. I would assume you lost the data otherwise. Time spent investigating complex recovery techniques would be better spent on re-writing the data.

Good luck!

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

Board footer