You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-14 08:21:37

ambalex

anaconda install - package vs local install

Hi,
I'd like to use anaconda to do some scientific python computing.

I've tried to install from the AUR. The installation was ok, but when I tried to install another python version, it would throw an error about locks and writing permissions. I guess that was because I had a system-wide installation of anaconda and my user had no right to write to /opt/anaconda/...

Any one had the same issue and found a workaround?
I'd prefer to have anaconda installed from a package, but I could consider installing locally from the original installer.

btw, after uninstalling the anaconda package, I still have some files left in the /opt/anaconda/ directory. Coming from installing packages I suppose.

thanks

#2 2016-07-14 09:57:59

bstaletic

Re: anaconda install - package vs local install

Idon't know if there's a good reason for installing in /opt, but ok. That dir is owned by root:root and no unpriviledged user can write to it. This is nothing out of the ordinary, it's the same with /usr. After uninstall you can safely remove anything left in /opt.

I have never used anaconda so I have no idea how does it work. What do you mean by "install another python version"?

You could always install somewhere in /home, but I never liked that idea.

#3 2016-07-17 14:55:55

jethronsun7
Website

Re: anaconda install - package vs local install

I took a look at the AUR pkg, looks like there is some conflicts between the anaconda pkg in AUR  and the normal usage of anaconda . My guess is you might want to install the anaconda as recommended from upstream.

The conflict is between the philosophy of AUR and anaconda.

Board footer