You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-17 18:11:27

addicted

DE switch Question

Hi, I'm new to Linux.Used Mint & Ubuntu for 2 Month & switched to Arch.

After installation of Arch,i installed KDE.
used it for 30 min (slow startup,except dolphine nothing i liked there) & switched to gnome(that start menu,i'm using it on desktop.not tablet).Again used it for 30min & switched to cinnamon.
Cinnamon has no issue except when i wanted to slideshow background & added my wallpaper directory with 6000+ background,it freezed.
So when ever i open background in cinnamon setting ,that was the issue.SO used it for 2 day.

Then i read about gnome classic,thought gave gnome another try & switched to gnome classic.Still couldn't accept those start menu(win 10 style) , 2 panel in top & bottom.
& in the process i deleted cinnamon setting in my home directory.(".cinnamon" in ".config" & in '/home/my_user" directory".

So again when i switched to cinnamon,all apps previously intalled seems missing (shortcuts in cinnamon menu).
If i reinstall app,icons reappears.
But When i tried to reinstall all apps with following

pacman -Qq > package.list
pacman -S - < package.list

it didn't reinstall them saying package up to date.

So HOW to reinstall them??

& is there any way to remove kde & gnome related app that cinnamon don't use?
Hereis the package list
http://pastebin.com/YiUr7sMp

#2 2016-07-17 18:18:17

dockland

Re: DE switch Question

addicted wrote:

Hi, I'm new to Linux.Used Mint & Ubuntu for 2 Month & switched to Arch.

After installation of Arch,i installed KDE.
used it for 30 min (slow startup,except dolphine nothing i liked there) & switched to gnome(that start menu,i'm using it on desktop.not tablet).Again used it for 30min & switched to cinnamon.
Cinnamon has no issue except when i wanted to slideshow background & added my wallpaper directory with 6000+ background,it freezed.
So when ever i open background in cinnamon setting ,that was the issue.SO used it for 2 day.

Then i read about gnome classic,thought gave gnome another try & switched to gnome classic.Still couldn't accept those start menu(win 10 style) , 2 panel in top & bottom.
& in the process i deleted cinnamon setting in my home directory.(".cinnamon" in ".config" & in '/home/my_user" directory".

So again when i switched to cinnamon,all apps previously intalled seems missing (shortcuts in cinnamon menu).
If i reinstall app,icons reappears.
But When i tried to reinstall all apps with following

pacman -Qq > package.list
pacman -S - < package.list

it didn't reinstall them saying package up to date.

So HOW to reinstall them??

& is there any way to remove kde & gnome related app that cinnamon don't use?
Hereis the package list
http://pastebin.com/YiUr7sMp

Did you install Plasma meta pacages and kde-applications-meta? Then you can remove it safely with pacman -Rns plasma-meta kde-applications-meta and a following cleanup doing pacman -Rnsdd kio

Cinnamon depends on various gnome-packages, so i'll pass on that one.
If you need, you can revert back to base install and go on from there again, installing X and Nvidiadrivers and so on, if you want to.

My experience is that adding and removing a bunch of DE now and then can make things a bit messy.

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
I use it to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue with strangers.

#3 2016-07-17 18:20:53

addicted

since all package downloaded into my cache,i think i would like to reinstall from stratch.
How to do that without formatting & losing those downloaded package in cache (i.e reinstalling base??)

there is no place like /home -BB
tongue

Last edited by addicted (2016-07-17 18:22:18)

#4 2016-07-21 21:57:08

FlowIt

Easiest way would be to use this little script to remove everything but the base group: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … base_group
From there you can reinstall cinnamon, best following the wiki so in case you encounter any other errors you can provide a step by step recap of what you did. For the future I suggest you keep track of what you install, makes life much easier in my opinion.

Btw: The freeze in the background settings is not really surprising considering the huge amount of previews the settings gui has to render. You can still create a bug report upstream so the devs can look into it.

Board footer