You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-24 13:46:22

akelian

HFS+ Drive false alert ?

Hello Archies,

# Skippable blabla on
I was a Mac User for almost 10ys but the direction apple is taking since a few years is really scaring me so after a long consideration I thought Linux was the best alternative OS for my needs.

Like many, Adobe missing from the platform is a (the only?) real drawback. But on the other hand I was really surprised by the amount of high end Graphics software (autodesk, foundry and co) available.
So I have,in the last 3months, experimented a lot of different distributions.
I finally went for CentOS 7. Great distro, definitely not for everyone thou.As I'm still no Linux expert I managed to completely mess up the permissions of the system, resulting in an infinite quest of solve that problem, get a new problem.. Over and over.
So I was about to reinstall CentOS but then I started looking for the distribution that I had avoided all this time : Arch Linux.
From a new Linux user everything seemed more complex on Arch (the installation process for instsance is a bit scary at first.) but the amazing, AMAZING wiki, actually make the process easy, and you learn a lot in the process. And the Arch way is just the perfect logic to me.
# Skippable blabla off

As i'm still using licenses and apps on mac I have a Dual Boot.
Earlier today something really strange happened and I would like to know what happened but I did not find any infos
I'm using a Mac Pro 5.1, Arch is on a 512gb SSD, and 2 other internal 2to drives are shared with the mac in HFS+ (non journalised.), here is what happened:

- I installed Wine-staging
- I have set the Wine prefix on one of those HFS+ internal drives.
- Wine was strangely buggy (display troubles after a few minutes).
- I shutdown every process and restarted the computer... tried to restart. Everything was down (Fans, Graphic Cards, screen), but the power was still on. I waited an hour and decided to manually shutit down.
- On restart I got an fsck error and the drive on which I had installed the Wine prefix was mounted read-only.
- Running "fsck -r" on the drive resulted in an error: Keys out of order. It tried to repair 3 times without luck, I have restarted the process 3 times to make sure.
- I searched about similar problems and could not identify the origin of such an error.
- I tried to use Disk Utility on mac, same result : The disk could not be repared, backup data asap and wipe the disk
- But the I realised that the Mac did mount the drive in read&write. As the last thing I had done was installing wine, I removed the prefix folder.
- Now both disk utility and fsck on arch tell me the disk is Ok....

How can I make sure my drives are sane ?
Do you recommend any drive monitoring solution (Loosing datas and data corruption already happened to much in my life ) ?

Thanks

Last edited by akelian (2016-07-24 13:47:45)

Board footer