You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-20 22:44:32

valvakir

Multimonitor - forcing older monitors to work

I have an old 1600x900 VGA monitor and a laptop with a VGA output. When I plug it in xrandr still reports DP1 as disconnected. I then forced it using:

xrandr --addmode DP1 1600x900
xrandr --output DP1 --left-of eDP1

And lo and behold I get an image on the old monitor. I use KDE Plasma 5, and I can seamlessly drag windows across the monitors, however I do not have a wallpaper and a taskbar on the VGA monitor, I cannot right-click on the desktop, and when I right-click something with a menu (eg. selected text) the right-click menu shows up on the main laptop monitor. I have gone into KDE Plasma monitor menu, and it does not register the VGA monitor at all. I suspect that is why I do not have a lot of KDE functionality on the VGA monitor.
Is it possible to force KDE Plasma to detect the monitor and how? I have a hybrid intel/nvidia, using proprieatary drivers and bumblebee (it should be noted, maybe it's relevant, I cannot use optirun, but have to use primusrun to start applications with the discreet VGA.

Any help would be apprecieated, thanks in advance for replies. I did try googling around, to no avail.

Last edited by valvakir (2016-08-20 22:45:31)

Board footer