You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-15 14:17:42

GoreGrindGeek

Installing packages from tar archives [SOLVED]

Good day, everyone.

Is there any way to install a package not from any official or unofficial repository? Let's say I want to install an en-Gb developer edition of Firefox which isn't in the official repository or AUR. I could download an archive from Mozilla (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/all/), but how would I go about utilising it? PKGBUILD obviously complains about the lack of a build file, so I presume I'm supposed to concoct one myself, but I have no idea how.
I'd appreciate any help, hopefully in the form of a link to a detailed step-by-step manual.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by GoreGrindGeek (2016-09-15 14:30:11)

#2 2016-09-15 14:20:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Installing packages from tar archives [SOLVED]

GoreGrindGeek wrote:

PKGBUILD obviously complains about the lack of a build file

What?  I assume you mean makepkg returns "==> ERROR: PKGBUILD does not exist."

Yes, create a PKGBUILD.  It is extremely easy.  Follow the wiki and check out examples of similar firefox packages already in the AUR.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-09-15 14:20:49

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages

There is probably a -bin package for Firefox on the AUR you could use as a template rather than starting from scratch.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2016-09-15 14:29:48

GoreGrindGeek

Trilby wrote:
GoreGrindGeek wrote:

PKGBUILD obviously complains about the lack of a build file

What?  I assume you mean makepkg returns "==> ERROR: PKGBUILD does not exist."

Yes, create a PKGBUILD.  It is extremely easy.  Follow the wiki and check out examples of similar firefox packages already in the AUR.

Your assumption is correct. I am nearly asleep, forgive me.
Which part of the wiki should I follow? It's another long-winded article, and I have no idea where to start from because the topic is alien and new to me.

WorMzy wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages

There is probably a -bin package for Firefox on the AUR you could use as a template rather than starting from scratch.

Thank you. A shame there isn't an easier way. Updating the PKGBUILD each time Mozilla updates their release doesn't sound like fun to me (I haven't read the article yet, I'm just making assumptions).

Thank you guys again. I'll mark this as "solved".

#5 2016-09-15 14:40:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

GoreGrindGeek wrote:

A shame there isn't an easier way. Updating the PKGBUILD each time Mozilla updates their release doesn't sound like fun to me (I haven't read the article yet, I'm just making assumptions).

Stop making assumptions, and just read it already.  It is far easier than you assume: there is no need to update the PKGBUILDs (generally) - except to change the version number.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer