You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-25 12:44:29

sstkw25

[SOLVED] Migrate appearance and settings from User1 to User2; XFCE

Hello everyone!

I have been using Arch Linux for three months now, as the single user (User1) of the laptop I have. Now I want to add another user (User2), already did it indeed.

I only have the XFCE desktop environment, and I have set up many customizations, to make it fit my needs and taste.

When using the User2, I want it to look it exactly the same as User1. I have tried copying all the files from.

/home/User1/.config to /home/User2/.config

Eventually I copied every hidden folder assuming they are configuration files.

It didn't work and I thought it was a permission problem. I logged in as ROOT and change the files in /home/User2/.config to have the owner User2:users.

But it still didn't work completely. I got the correct configuration of Thunar (added user actions), for example, but the whole appearance of the desktop was the default one.

I have been looking for a solution for the last 3 hours, and didn't find any. I cannot find where the configuration files for XFCE are. I tried making a change in the theme, and look for a file modified at that time, but didn't find any.

So, I hope anyone can give me a hand here.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards!

Last edited by sstkw25 (2016-09-29 19:09:39)

#2 2016-09-25 14:54:15

onslow77

Re: [SOLVED] Migrate appearance and settings from User1 to User2; XFCE

sstkw25 wrote:

I have been looking for a solution for the last 3 hours, and didn't find any. I cannot find where the configuration files for XFCE are. I tried making a change in the theme, and look for a file modified at that time, but didn't find any.

Hello!

Please read the Xfce wiki page and look under the configuration section!

For your future learning experiance with Arch Linux I advice you to spend some time with the Arch wiki. I also recomend that you do an internet search before you aks questions that easily can be answered by searching (in your case) with "Xfce configuration files".

Regards
Martin

Last edited by onslow77 (2016-09-25 20:10:03)

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#3 2016-09-26 19:28:24

sstkw25

Hello onslow77 (and anyone that can help):

It took me time to post because I didn't want to post a question that can be easily solved online. I therefore thank you for answering even if you thought it was the case.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. I had already tried copying those .xml files into the /home/User2/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/, and I also changed the owner to User2:users in those files and folders. However, they are somehow not read when I load the Xfce desktop with User2.

And that is what I couldn't solve anyhow. The files are ready, but I get the default setup. I guess it is some simple tweak to do, but I don't know where to do it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards

#4 2016-09-29 19:07:32

sstkw25

I don't know what the problem was.

I did again copy the whole /home/User1/.config/xfce4 into /home/User2/.config/xfce4 as a root user. Then I changed the privileges of every file to be owned by the User2, and it finally worked.

big_smile

Board footer