You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-07 05:04:53

gbcbooks

arch on surface pro 4 battery life

has anyone installed arch on surface pro4 ?

the batter life of win10 on surface pro 4 is too bad , i am trying to change the OS to arch

but i search for some article about arch on surface , all of them were talking about installation ,they never mention batter optimization .

Macbook air's battery life can be 12 hours , how long is arch on surface ?

#2 2016-10-07 07:41:36

gbcbooks

Re: arch on surface pro 4 battery life

did i post on the wrong place ?

#3 2016-10-07 08:12:47

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2016-10-08 03:30:00

mwillems

I run arch on a surface pro 4.  The battery life on Arch is slightly worse than the battery life on windows, and about half the subsystems don't actually work yet (no camera, only experimental drivers for touch and pen, need patches for the keyboard, etc.).  I get about four or five hours of normal use out of the battery on Arch, but the connected standby "sleep" used by the SP4  isn't well supported so the device uses about as much power when "suspended" on Linux as it does when on with the screen off.  You've got to shut it down to get decent power savings at the moment.  It's not really ready for prime-time on Linux.

#5 2016-10-10 15:02:03

gbcbooks

mwillems wrote:

I run arch on a surface pro 4.  The battery life on Arch is slightly worse than the battery life on windows, and about half the subsystems don't actually work yet (no camera, only experimental drivers for touch and pen, need patches for the keyboard, etc.).  I get about four or five hours of normal use out of the battery on Arch, but the connected standby "sleep" used by the SP4  isn't well supported so the device uses about as much power when "suspended" on Linux as it does when on with the screen off.  You've got to shut it down to get decent power savings at the moment.  It's not really ready for prime-time on Linux.

i get four or five hour batter life with my surface pro 4 on win10 , how about your ?

#6 2016-10-10 15:39:19

gbcbooks

mwillems wrote:

how about Ubuntu . does it support surface pro 4 well ?

#7 2016-10-11 02:51:31

mwillems

The limitations are in the kernel, so you won't get better support from Ubuntu (or any other distro) in this case, in fact you might get slightly worse power management given that the kernel will be older on Ubuntu.

I get about four or five hours on arch and slightly more on Windows (about 5 to 5.5 hours).  But you may have missed the part about suspend/sleep not working well with Linux?  You're not going to improve on your battery life running linux at the moment.

Last edited by mwillems (2016-10-11 02:51:58)

#8 2016-10-11 02:54:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

gbcbooks wrote:
mwillems wrote:

how about Ubuntu . does it support surface pro 4 well ?

Side note - asking that question probably indicates you should not be running Arch on anything mission critical just yet. Distros don't really have a lot of impact on what you're asking about (kernel and driver support for power management).

For most new (and many older) systems Windows will just give you better (or much better) battery life, assuming a properly optimised install (that's not running some malware in the background).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2016-10-21 04:19:32

gbcbooks

mwillems wrote:

The limitations are in the kernel, so you won't get better support from Ubuntu (or any other distro) in this case, in fact you might get slightly worse power management given that the kernel will be older on Ubuntu.

I get about four or five hours on arch and slightly more on Windows (about 5 to 5.5 hours).  But you may have missed the part about suspend/sleep not working well with Linux?  You're not going to improve on your battery life running linux at the moment.

do you have any suggestion of improving win10 battery life.

i searched google of  this topic , fixed many problem , like: disabled windows hello , as it is working in light power mode yet in current version 1607; switch to power save mode immediately when unplug the charger ; limit cpu max frequency to 40%.

with all measures above , i increase my battery life from 4 hours to 5 hours, especially windows hello ,  it is really really  a big power consumed process.

what is your measures to improve battery life ? and which version do you use currently ?

Last edited by gbcbooks (2016-10-21 04:20:14)

Board footer