You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-16 16:38:57

maanvol

Installing Arch on mount point /

I was hoping to install arch on '/' instead of '/mnt', but command: 'pacstrap -i / base' does not function. Other distributions do have their file system on '/etc/fstab' instead of '/mnt/etc/fstab'.  What mount point do they apply?

#2 2016-10-16 16:48:12

ukhippo

Re: Installing Arch on mount point /

It will be on / when you boot into your new system. However, initially you're booted into the installation system. Read through the whole installation guide first so you know what you need, then do the install.

#3 2016-10-16 16:52:07

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Installing Arch on mount point /

Um.  Yeah.

Arch is installed from a chroot from a running Linux system.  That running system has its own file system on /.  You mount what will be your new / on /mnt of the running system.  Then, you pacstrap and chroot into your new system and finish the basic installation.  Then, you unmount your new system from /mnt of the running system.  Just like taking a cutting of a flower, you cut the branch off the old flower and plant it anew.  When your pass the new partition to your bootloader as root, it will be mounted on /

Edit: Snaked by ukhippo.  I guess they have had eight more hours to drink coffee than have I wink

Last edited by ewaller (2016-10-16 16:55:25)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer