You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-23 17:57:19

tio

Configuring desktop notifications

Hi!

I'm trying to configure desktop notiications (the popup dialog you get when you receive a message) for Slack.

When I first installed the application, I didn't allow desktop notifications, but now I'd like to have them. I have no clue who's responsible for desktop notifications, or where to look for the appropriate configuration file.

I'm running i3 window manager.

#2 2016-10-23 21:25:00

ayekat

Re: Configuring desktop notifications

You'll need an application for displaying notifications.
Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … ifications

Last edited by ayekat (2016-10-23 21:25:36)

pkgshackscfgblag

#3 2016-10-24 18:11:06

tio

Thanks for your reply.

I've already seen that wiki, but it's not what I need. In fact, I have libnotify installed.

My question is: where does applications like Chrome send the notifications to (for instance, when you get a Facebook notification), so it can be displayed on top of your screen ?

And, by default, who is responsible for the "allow desktop notifications?" prompt you get each time an applications try to send one?

#4 2016-10-24 20:53:22

seth

to the dbus - and if there's something listening on the other end, it will display them - if configured to do so.

Adjust the title for you're explicitly asking for "how to configure slack desktop notifications" (assuming the desktop provides such feature at all - something I don't know either, never seen that desktop)

#5 2016-10-24 21:01:32

ayekat

tio wrote:

I've already seen that wiki, but it's not what I need. In fact, I have libnotify installed.

Yes, but if you had scrolled down and read a little in that article, you would have noticed that libnotify is only the "intermediate", and you actually need an application (called the notification daemon) on the other end that handles the messages (and maybe displays them), as pointed out by seth.

For example, I have installed dunst.

pkgshackscfgblag

Board footer