You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-25 13:29:31

ccerna1

Using SSD for Arch secondary Drive for rest of the Applications

Good morning everyone,
am hoping someone can shed some light into this and possibly point me in the right direction.

Currently I have my SSD as my main where my Arch resides (120gb) I also have a few programs in there as well and am running out of room.
Would it be possible to keep my main installation of Arch on the SSD and a few applications and have pacman install the rest on my 1T drive?

Keep any help is greatly appreciated and thank you!

Carlos

#2 2016-10-25 14:19:40

Lone_Wolf

Re: Using SSD for Arch secondary Drive for rest of the Applications

pacman cache can take up lots of space , try cleaning that.

paccache --dryrun will give you an idea how many space can be freed .

paccache --help

for details .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2016-10-25 14:39:18

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Also, there's plenty of quick scripts around (some file managers can also do this, rangerfm for example) to quickly list sizes of directories. Check /usr and /lib and see what the biggest ones are. Most likely something to do with libreoffice (or TexLive if you use that).

Bind mounts are possible with those sort of subdirectories, if you determine you can't get rid of the applications themselves.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2016-10-25 15:17:15

ccerna1

Thank you LoneWolf and ngoonee!

I will take a look at those when I get home. I do have libreoffice installed.

Do you know if there any guides etc how to install those apps on the second drive? Just in case I cant get enough free space.

Thank You!

#5 2016-10-25 15:18:48

Scimmia
Fellow

Stop thinking in Windows terms. Packages in Unix/Linux are much more integrated, you don't just choose where to install them.

Last edited by Scimmia (2016-10-25 15:30:02)

#6 2016-10-25 15:26:37

Steef435
Website

120GB of applications sounds very unlikely. Do you also have /home on the SSD? You might want to move that to the 1TB drive. You'll probably only notice a speed difference when you're compiling in /home. You could do that on the SSD easily though, or in a tmpfs.

Applications are usually the last thing you want to move away from your SSD, being able to quickly load executables from your SSD is what primarily makes SSDs so great.

Do you perhaps have some very large games installed?

#7 2016-10-25 15:47:44

ccerna1

What I initially wanted to do was have Arch on the SSD and the second partition was for Wow which I play quite a bit.

The other applications such as libre office, Openshot, Kdelive would be on the 1TB.

At the time since am still learning I would thought I could select where I could install the packages sadly that was not the case.

#8 2016-10-25 22:21:00

ccerna1

Thank you I was able to reclaim alot of space using the suggestions above. Initially I had 44gb I now have 74Gb never realize how much stuff pacman saves for previous installations!

Board footer