You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-17 10:16:05

enzyme

autostart compton in awesomewm as a daemon [Solved]

recently i installed arch on a laptop i had lying around, after i had it installed i installed xfce4-terminal and noticed that i couldnt make the background opaque because awesomewm doesnt nativley support compositing. after doing some reading i decided to install compton and unagi and try both of them out. now i need help autostarting either compton or unagi when i boot into awesomewm. again i did some reading and if i am right i think i have to add "compton -b"  to the .xinitrc. if i am wrong please point me in the right direction.

Last edited by enzyme (2017-01-19 12:18:13)

#2 2017-01-17 10:53:41

Slithery
Administrator

Re: autostart compton in awesomewm as a daemon [Solved]

How are you starting Awesome?

If you're using startx then yes, .xinitrc is the correct location. If you use a DM then check the appropriate documentation.

Last edited by Slithery (2017-01-17 10:53:58)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-01-17 23:53:47

enzyme

yeah i am using sddm. let me read that documentation and i will get back to you if i have any questions. thank you!

Last edited by enzyme (2017-01-18 00:06:52)

#4 2017-01-18 01:03:18

enzyme

alright so i figured it out but before i go on and tell you the solution i must tell you the reason why i wanted compton to autostart on login.

so wehn i w as going through the rc.lua i changed the default terminal from xterm to xfce4-terminal that went alright but when i went into apperances to change to opacity of the terminal emulator it wouldnt let because awesome doesnt nativly support compositing so i went to the aur and installed compton. afterwards i realized i needed compton to autostart in order to make life easier for me. so what i did was i went to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xprofile and read through the documentation i required because i am using SDDM to start awesomewm i went to the file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and i added this pice to the top of the script

# Make sure this is before the 'exec' command or it won't be sourced.
[ -f /etc/xprofile ] && source /etc/xprofile
[ -f ~/.xprofile ] && source ~/.xprofile

right after the #!/bin/sh

afterwards i made a file called .xprofile in my home directory and added compton -b to the file and that was it

thanks for the help in pointing me in the right direction!!

#5 2017-01-18 11:36:33

Raynman

According to that wiki page you don't need to edit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc if you're using SDDM.

Anyway, if it's fixed please edit your first post and prepend [SOLVED] to the title.

Last edited by Raynman (2017-01-18 11:37:33)

Board footer