You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-23 20:19:41

MoreThanADoge

I'm willing to switch to Arch, but I have few questions...

Hi folks,

I want to switch to Arch Linux but I have a question regarding kernel and keyboard shortcuts.

Basically, I tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 on my brand new laptop (ASUS FX502VM).

The laptop has an i7 6700HQ (Skylake), 16Gb of Ram and an NVIDIA GTX 1060.

Basically, I managed to install it after tweaking grub to boot up and I installed Nvidia drivers.

Everything went smooth except that keyboard shortcuts like Brightness, Backlit keyboard and others didn't work.

I looked on-line for solutions, didn't find much things except one thing.

A guy was telling others to install the last Kernel (4.8) at that time, to fix the problem.

My question is: Would I have more chances to get those keys working on Arch Linux with a more recent kernel ?

Does anyone have the same processor and is able to make these keys function properly ?

Thanks

#2 2017-01-23 21:34:27

onslow77

Re: I'm willing to switch to Arch, but I have few questions...

Hello!

You can use Xbindkeys to bind your keyboard keys to your liking. It works independed of any DE/WM

Regards
Martin

It is advised to follow the How to post guide when posting on the Arch forum. If one consciously jumps over these elementary steps like reading the wiki and providing necessary information about the problem, one can be regarded as a Help Vampire.

#3 2017-01-23 21:46:53

svnset

Welcome,

To answer your question simple: Noone, except those with your notebook model, can tell you if the function key combinations will work on arch, so just test it. The out of the box support can also differ from DE to DE. If there is no support at all, you can make them work manually too. Read Hardware Support for more infos. 

In general, new hardware support is of course more likely with newer kernels. But it is an unknown variable (when you find no information) when and if someone is willing to create support for your specific device.

Skylake support is good since kernel version ~ 4.7, but has anyways nothing to do with the function keys.

If you are willing to switch to arch, the first step would be to carefully read the Installation Guide and to install it. Depending on your experience, the transition from Ubuntu can be hard. I would worry afterwards about the function keys.

After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes,
it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. - Chopin

#4 2017-01-24 03:37:32

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ex … board_keys and check what codes you get with various keys (the xev line in particular is useful) on your current install.

Then boot the latest Arch installation ISO (no need to install yet) and check what codes (if any) you get for those keys). If there's any difference then that answers your question. If not, then you may still be able to get the keys to work (if you get codes at all), but it wouldn't be any different in Ubuntu or Arch.

Last note - if what you're looking for is a 'works out of the box' experience, I strongly recommend reconsidering Arch.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2017-01-24 17:30:16

MoreThanADoge

svnset wrote:

Welcome,

To answer your question simple: Noone, except those with your notebook model, can tell you if the function key combinations will work on arch, so just test it. The out of the box support can also differ from DE to DE. If there is no support at all, you can make them work manually too. Read Hardware Support for more infos. 

In general, new hardware support is of course more likely with newer kernels. But it is an unknown variable (when you find no information) when and if someone is willing to create support for your specific device.

Skylake support is good since kernel version ~ 4.7, but has anyways nothing to do with the function keys.

If you are willing to switch to arch, the first step would be to carefully read the Installation Guide and to install it. Depending on your experience, the transition from Ubuntu can be hard. I would worry afterwards about the function keys.

Okay, I'll check and see how it works. Ubuntu 16.04 uses the kernel 4.4, so I might have a better support with a new kernel.

I'm not that scared about the transition. I tried Fedora, and also Manjaro (don't hate me for this) but I found it to be full of useless and proprietary apps.

#6 2017-01-24 17:32:46

MoreThanADoge

ngoonee wrote:

Read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ex … board_keys and check what codes you get with various keys (the xev line in particular is useful) on your current install.

Then boot the latest Arch installation ISO (no need to install yet) and check what codes (if any) you get for those keys). If there's any difference then that answers your question. If not, then you may still be able to get the keys to work (if you get codes at all), but it wouldn't be any different in Ubuntu or Arch.

Last note - if what you're looking for is a 'works out of the box' experience, I strongly recommend reconsidering Arch.

That's what I'm about to do, thanks for the link. However, I tried something similar on Ubuntu and the key (fn) itself wasn't detected. I'll see if it works there.

I do not expect everything to work out of the box ahah, I'm simply wondering if it can work, even if I need to tweak a few things.

Thank you anyway smile

#7 2017-01-24 18:14:51

drcouzelis
Website

MoreThanADoge wrote:

I tried Fedora, and also Manjaro (don't hate me for this) but I found it to be full of useless and proprietary apps.

I don't hate you smile but I'm suuuuuuper curious...

What proprietary applications are in Fedora and Manjaro?

#8 2017-01-24 18:24:23

MoreThanADoge

drcouzelis wrote:
MoreThanADoge wrote:

I tried Fedora, and also Manjaro (don't hate me for this) but I found it to be full of useless and proprietary apps.

I don't hate you smile but I'm suuuuuuper curious...

What proprietary applications are in Fedora and Manjaro?

I was talking about Manjaro, Steam was preinstalled for on my Manjaro for example.

#9 2017-01-25 06:55:28

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

MoreThanADoge wrote:

That's what I'm about to do, thanks for the link. However, I tried something similar on Ubuntu and the key (fn) itself wasn't detected. I'll see if it works there.

I do not expect everything to work out of the box ahah, I'm simply wondering if it can work, even if I need to tweak a few things.

Thank you anyway smile

Fn itself won't be detected that way I think, depending on your machine, you need to press a combo.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer