You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-22 08:58:59

Lightman

[Solved] Wireless connection already up

I carried out a new installation of x64 Arch on an old laptop and my new build has an odd problem with wireless connectivity. I'm pretty sure I've misconfigured something. When I installed Arch, the wireless card was identified and drivers were loaded without issue. To get the wireless to work, I ran ip link to get the name of the device.

# ip link

I then brought the connection up.

# ip link set [wifi] up

Next I loaded the DHCP service to get an IP address.

# systemctl start dhcpcd 

Then I just run the wifi-menu application to detect and connect to my wireless network. I'm all connected up and I have an IP address on my wifi network. I can connect to the Internet and everything works as it should. I want to make the changes permanent so I need to enable the DHCP and Wifi Profile.

# systemctl enable dhcpcd
# netctl enable [my_wifi_profile]

But... It would not reconnect after a reboot. The loading of the wifi profile failed so there is no network connection. I check the status of my wifi profile and it failed because the connection is already active. Eh? ip link confirmed that the device was up, but I have no IP address.

If I then take the wifi device down and try the wifi profile again, it works for that session.

# ip link set [wifi] down
# netctl start [my_wifi_profile]

Can anyone see where I am going wrong here?

Thanks...

Last edited by Lightman (2017-02-23 08:15:01)

#2 2017-02-22 09:26:03

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Wireless connection already up

AFAIK, you don't need to enable the dhcpcd service. Try disabling it.

#3 2017-02-22 11:47:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Not only do you not need to, it is known to cause problems.  Only use one networking service at a time.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2017-02-22 11:48:46

FlowIt

systemctl enable dhcpcd.service

starts dhcpcd on all interfaces. If you try to start a netctl profile afterwards it will fail with the error message "interface is already up", just as you observed. Do you also have a wired connection? In this case you can use

systemctl enable dhcpcd@eth0.service

which will only start dhcpcd on the wired interface eth0 (your interface name can be different). If you only need wifi you can use

netctl enable your-wifi-profile

which will enable a systemd unit, too. Just make sure no other network service is running (eg. systemctl disable dhcpcd).

#5 2017-02-23 08:14:37

Lightman

Thank you everybody. That was the cause of the problem.

I used the workaround I described in my post then disabled the dhcpcd service. After a reboot the wifi connection came up without issue.

Board footer